Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spyker C8 Aileron Spyder .: WORLD PREMIERE :.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
    Additional storage space as far as I know
    That is a removable travel case.

Comment

influence on C8 spyder sales?

... the Aileron Spyder is so attractive, I am sure the C8 Spyder will not sell anymore from this day! Customers will wait for the Aileron Spyder! That will have an effect on dealers and Spyker works.... Should you own a C8 Spyder, however, your car has just become an icon! .... a collectors item, since not many more will be produced I assume.

Looking at Ferraris it is pretty much the same: the early ones are not necessarily the prettiest, but they are good collectors items. Let's hope the Aileron Spyder actually will be built, in larger numbers or at least similar to the C8!

Comment

Originally posted by jpclinging View Post
        That is a removable travel case.
        How does the leather keep up in the rain? The leather on the deck will be covered by the top, but the travel case is exposed to the elements.
        Rijk

Comment

Amzamz,

I have actually chewed over your post a good bit, and I feel differently. What is happening at Spyker is common. First an elemental sports car, and then the successive cars get bigger, heavier, cushier, and lose the magic. I am as smitten as you are by the Aileron, and I think it will be much more practical than the C8. I want one. I may put one in my garage, but not to replace the C8.

Here's why I don't think it will kill C8 sales, or be universally seen as better. It is a bigger car, and I'll bet more than a bit heavier, too, but not more powerful. While stunning, the front proportions are too tall, as it is now subject to pedestrian safety requirements that the C8 was not. The polished metal trim that so distinguishes the C8 is gone. The stereo protruberance is not aesthetic, however functional its placement may be. And, the C8s MOST distinctive styling feature --the frameless glass -- is gone. No one else had it, and now no one will have it.

In pictures, the C8 can look ungainly, but I don't think that is true of the widebody cars, and in person, the effect is wholly different. One of the most common comments I get it, "wow, it looks so much better in person." It moves me, and that's what makes me an owner and superfan.

Comment

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
            Here's why I don't think it will kill C8 sales, or be universally seen as better. It is a bigger car, and I'll bet more than a bit heavier, too, but not more powerful. While stunning, the front proportions are too tall, as it is now subject to pedestrian safety requirements that the C8 was not. The polished metal trim that so distinguishes the C8 is gone. The stereo protruberance is not aesthetic, however functional its placement may be. And, the C8s MOST distinctive styling feature --the frameless glass -- is gone. No one else had it, and now no one will have it.
            I agree with Brett. The Aileron customer will be quite different from the SWB C8. Spyker can just built both cars side by side without having to worry that they dilute their costumer base
            Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
              ...the front proportions are too tall, as it is now subject to pedestrian safety requirements that the C8 was not.
              ????

It was my understanding that it was decreed that manufacturers of less than 5000 cars a year would not have to comply with the E.U. pedestrian-impact regulations (it was also my understanding that this was decided immediately after Koenigsegg had succesfully engineered the CCX to comply with these regulattions).

Another shining example of legislation that no one wanted. Thanks to governments for attempting to protect people from their own poor decisions. You get hit by a car, you're going to get hurt, I don't care how the front end is designed.

As for the existing C8, you are absolutely correct, it is much more dramatic in person. The thing I love about it is the compact packaging. At first glance there doesn't seem to be room anywhere for an engine. Most casual observers would never guess the car is mid-engined.

Comment

I read that too, and maybe Spyker can confirm, but I have looked very carefully at the proportions of the front end of the Aileron (anyone have the actual measurements?), and my guess is that the car was engineered to meet those requirements before they actually knew they would not have to abide by them. Perhaps I am wrong, but if there is something off on an otherwise perfectly proportioned car, the hand of government regulation is usually to blame.

Comment

yes

Today, I test drove an Aileron at the Nürburgring. I now fully agree that this is not the car I would swap against my SWB C8!!!! Definitely not. It is a nice design, however!

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                    Today, I test drove an Aileron at the Nürburgring. I now fully agree that this is not the car I would swap against my SWB C8!!!! Definitely not. It is a nice design, however!
                    Nice. It is great that you can confirm our predictions
                    Rijk

Comment

How did it drive? Was it 'different, but good' or wat is 'horrible'? Or something else

Comment

Yes, you can't tease us like that What was the drive like?

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                          .. I now fully agree that this is not the car I would swap against my SWB C8!!!!
                          I would have been surprised if you had mentioned you considered a swap.

The C8 SWB is hard core and a handful to control which makes it very entertaining. The C8 Aileron is a sophisticated sports car and you hate that :lol:

Comment

yes, again

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                            I would have been surprised if you had mentioned you considered a swap.

The C8 SWB is hard core and a handful to control which makes it very entertaining. The C8 Aileron is a sophisticated sports car and you hate that :lol:
                            How right you are!
                            About the drive (by the way, it was near the ring, not on the ring... :lol: The Aileron was surprisingly smooth to get started. A bit funny for me to have the automatic gearbox on a powerful car. Not my thing. When you drive it off the parking, you actually go where you'd expect to go. Turning radius is fantastic. And the sound of the C8 is somewhere in the distance. It might be better if windows are down. Acceleration and handling on a normal road seemed just perfect. You can really be relaxed while driving it. And exactly that is what I was missing here... the wild untamed beast has kind of disappeared.

Victor said he would come up with a "S" version... A dream of an Aileron with manual gear shift and more HP... What will remain is the body width of 2m 08 or whatever it was... I am a fan of smaller sports cars. By the way, did you notice..... for me the SWB C8 is a "she" and the Aileron is an "it".

Comment

... and ...

I forgot to mention that the brakes are so easygoing on the Aileron... particularly when compared to the ones on my SWB C8, where they feel like chain saws cutting a sequoia.

... and I first thought the car wasn't fast (windows closed, less sound than SWB C8), until I was politely reminded that this car was displaying mph not km/h!!! I guess I was way over the speed limit!!!

I assume the spyder will feel the same or better...

(...by the way, we had 4 street legal Spykers at Nürburgring #253, #231, #207 and #045. see photo. I am not sure this is the proper thread for all this...)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by amzamz; 24-08-2009, 10:21.

Comment

autoblog.com took some pictures of the beauty at LA auto show:
                                LA 2009: Spyker C8 Aileron Spyder proves the devil is in the details — Autoblog

Comment

Working...
                                X