Spyker Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReducedSpeedAhead View Post
    All in all... This will be a big hit for Spyker, and will allow them to sell enough cars to make sure those of us that want a manual, will get one!
    That's exactly why I think it is a good thing Spyker is going to offer an optional automatic. Not for the purists like me and Rijk, but for other customers who want or need an automatic transmission. With more sales the brand will gain the strength it needs to survive.

Comment

Vinny, can you tell us some more about how the C8 Aileron mule drove? When you compare it to the C8 Spyder what are the biggest differences.

And is Spyker indeed using the ZF 6-speed automatic transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
        Hmm Dan, I think there are three kinds of flappy paddle gearboxes.

- Normal automatic transmission with the possibility to shift up and down
        - Sequential gearbox (F1 style), a 'manual' transmission with a computer operated clutch (SMG, e-gear etc etc)
        - Twin-clutch gearbox, as used in the GT-R, California, new M3, facelifted 911 and a lot of VW/Audi models (at least in Europe)

And I think that the sequential gearbox had it's best time. More and more cars are using twin-clutch gearboxes. BMW ditched it's SMG in favour of DCT. Porsche is now using PDK instead of Tiptronic and Ferrari is using a twin-clutch gearboxes for the California instead of the F1 gearbox.
        You are right regarding the twin-clutch. That thing is sick. The SMG is still very solid but it takes a bit more grit to drive it correctly. If it isn't making a lot of odd noises, you are not driving it correctly! I have not been able to drive the new M3 with the twin but I hear it is pretty good. The same goes for PDK. Porsche is behind the curve right now regarding F-1 and has almost no real experience in actual racing that uses F-1 style clutches (from what I recall anyways---I could be wrong). All I can tell you guys is that the GT-R is sick sick sick. I am #2 on the california list and it should be similar. Not as fast as the GTR but it should be just as fun. You have got to love technology... All of that being said, I like driving the six speed the best. If I was racing for money I'd take the F-1 stuff but if it is for fun, I like to use the clutch and shift myself. I think that sentiment would be shared with pretty much everyone on this board.

Comment

Does this mean Spyker will eventually be exclusively automatic? I sure hope not... Morgan did this recently (for the US anyways). That was a sad day for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
            Does this mean Spyker will eventually be exclusively automatic? I sure hope not... Morgan did this recently (for the US anyways). That was a sad day for me.
            The C8 is a purist's car. So I guess that one will always be available with a proper transmission. But I wouldn't be surprised if 100% of the D8 (SSUV) would have an auto and let's say 75% of the Ailerons will have an auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
              I take it they did this because of the proportion of automatic to manual cars sold in the US was so skewed toward automatics, that Morgan doesn't even bother with a manual version.

Bad for true car enthusiasts, but a sign that Spyker is on the right road.
              Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                The C8 is a purist's car. So I guess that one will always be available with a proper transmission. But I wouldn't be surprised if 100% of the D8 (SSUV) would have an auto and let's say 75% of the Ailerons will have an auto.
                I hope you are correct
                Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by ReducedSpeedAhead View Post

While in Zeewolde, I got to drive the test mule. I am a changed man.

This transmission, even in it earliest stages, does not take away from the thrill of the car one bit. The "mule" had test versions of the "Sport" mode which did more than just open the exhaust baffles, it transformed the car into a different ride. You had to shift, the car would not do it for you, the throttle response seemed better, the power was better, and it even was matching revs when i downshifted (not perfect, but they say they are working on refining it).

All in all... This will be a big hit for Spyker, and will allow them to sell enough cars to make sure those of us that want a manual, will get one!
                  Now, that sounds good to me
                  Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                    I hope you are correct
                    The C8 Spyder should be safe. The automatic transmission doesn't even fit in the SWB version

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                      The C8 Spyder should be safe. The automatic transmission doesn't even fit in the SWB version
                      This is true...
                      Vinny

- former SPYKER Employee, but a fan for life....

Comment

Any updates on the automatic transmission that Spyker is going to use in there cars?

Vinny have you gotten to drive anymore mules??

Comment

I believe that it is already confirmed they will use the six speed automatic transmission from ZF.

Comment

You can also find it on the Spyker website...

Tiptronic six-speed automatic ZF gearbox with manual override (automatic transmission)
                            Spyker C8 Aileron

Sometimes it pays of to do some simple searches first

Comment

Working...
                            X