Evora + great design = B6 Venator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evora + great design = B6 Venator

I have a 2011 Lotus Evora which provides the heritage for the B6. The modifications that Spyker made to the Evora are outstanding and take the Evora to a new level.

The press release did not disclose very many specifics so it is hard to tell which Evora specs would be carried over to the B6.

From what I can see from the photos, here are the major improvements from the Evora:

1. Exterior body work - roof line, shape of side windows at buttress, front bumper and clam shell hood, side rocker panels, full rear end treatment, glass sun roof and rear window.

2. Interior work – New central tunnel shifter, new dash and central console design and new instruments, new slimmer door panels, new side sills (provides easier entry, an Evora weak point), full size dead pedal for left foot, new Start/Stop button, E-brake at door sill, slight design changes of buttons on the steering wheel, and the same excellent Recaro seats but trimmed in quilted leather.

Questions:
    1. Is there a trunk behind the mid-engine? The Evora has quite a bit of storage, so much space that I can fit a full size golf bag in the trunk. The Evora can be ordered with 2 small seats making it a 2+2 or ordered with a storage shelf that can hold two carry-on airline bags. If there is no trunk in the B6, is the space behind the front seats wide enough to hold golf clubs?

2. Is the engine visible through the rear glass window? The Evora rear window is minuscule and greatly limits rear visibility from the rear view mirror. Will the B6 with a full glass cockpit provide better visibility? While the Evora rear window is small, the side mirrors are excellent and there are no blind spots when properly adjusted.

3. The Evora uses a Toyota V-6 engine, 3.5L, 24 valve, double overhead cam for 276 hp. Will the B6 use the same engine? It is an excellent match for the Evora.

4. The Evora offers two exhaust systems. The base muffler is quiet and the Sports Exhaust is mildly aggressive. I changed my exhaust to a Larini to make it mildly loud. What exhaust will the B6 have?

5. The Evora offers two transmissions, a 6 speed manual and an automatic called IPS which can be driven with paddle shifts or completely automatic. It is not a true dual clutch but better than a torq converter automatic. Will the Spyker have a dual clutch?

6. I have no doubt the handling and suspension will be Lotus-like which is extraordinary, but will the B6 take the suspension to even higher limits?

7. The Evora uses an Alpine media unit and it is the weakest feature of the car. Will the B6 use an upgraded unit?

8. One of the interior photos showed a sloppy and sagging leather bag covering the steering wheel column to the dash. I hope that was just a prototype error as that is the only feature that is preventing me from placing a deposit on the B6 right now.

9. I would think it would be logical that Lotus dealers will sell and service the B6. If that is true I have been very pleased with the service.

I’ll be checking this forum frequently as the questions about the B6 are answered.

At this point it's very likely the B6 is based on the Artega GT architecture, not that of the Lotus Evora. I noticed the 'leather bag' too. Looked kind of unappealing but I think it's a solution I have seen before to allow for the motion of steering wheel adjustment.

Comment

Pronounce Venator

How do you pronounce Venator?

Ven - Nay - Tore
      Vee - Nature
      Ven - Nah - Tur

or ???

Comment

Lotus Compare

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
        At this point it's very likely the B6 is based on the Artega GT architecture, not that of the Lotus Evora. I noticed the 'leather bag' too. Looked kind of unappealing but I think it's a solution I have seen before to allow for the motion of steering wheel adjustment.
        I submit for your comparison...The interior scale and shapes are even more conclusive.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Rfong,

the B6 may look like an Evora in shape, but it IS based on the Artega GT. Too many details like diffusor, mirrors, shape and position of interior, instruments and inner door design(see picture: http://www.spykerowner.com/forum/spy...-spyker-6.html ) and many other technical details are common with the Artega GT.
          I worked a long time on the development of the GT and drove it for a while. I'm absolutly sure, the technical base IS the GT.

Comment

Here is the profile of the Artega GT for comparison against the Evora and B6. I agree the interior hardware is from the GT as well as the rear engine hatch and the side mirrors. But the greenhouse, shape of the roofline, the rake of the windshield, A pillars and how they connect to the roof, engine side vent holes and door cut more closely resemble the Evora.

The Evora chassis was designed made up of 3 bolt-on aluminum sections. The Evora central tub, which is the same shape as the B6, could have been used with different front and rear end treatments from the Artega. Could the B6 be an excellent fusion of the GT and Evora bodies?
            Attached Files

Comment

Can we just have someone at the show ask Mr. Mueller what car it's based on?

Or at least what engine is in it? That would give us the answer too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rfong View Post
                The Evora central tub, which is the same shape as the B6, could have been used with different front and rear end treatments from the Artega. Could the B6 be an excellent fusion of the GT and Evora bodies?
                Definitly not, the chassis is Artega GT as I can clearly see from the pics I have seen so far (I would bet money on it, I've been involved in the Artega GT development for such a long time, it's so familiar to me...). Only thing is that they gave the B6 a Windhield/Roof-Design which is more like the Evora design and perhaps they used some Evora parts or a similar design there but that's part of the whole exterior design which is heavily changed to Spyker style (except for the front boot panel which is the original from the Artega...)

Comment

Several people have asked, more often specifically whether it's a Lotus platform, but they refused to disclose anything about the platform.
                  The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

I'm not surprised. It's called "branding". You don't want to weaken your brand with loose talk.

Many, many parts of luxury and sports cars come from mundane sources . . . just not the parts you can see! Those, they stamp with the name of the luxury or sports brand.
                    With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
                      Many, many parts of luxury and sports cars come from mundane sources . . . just not the parts you can see! Those, they stamp with the name of the luxury or sports brand.
                      I have Bugatti Veyron spark plugs on my shelf; they happen to also fit a Passat!

But I carry 16 at all times, you know, just in case. :lol:

Comment

My Swiss friend, who owns an Evora, just returned from the Geneva show. After speaking to the Spyker people on the display floor, the decision about the roots of the B6 are now…. inconclusive!

My friend said he sees no obvious Evora or Artega parts on the B6. Except for the Artega interior door panels and Evora front windshield, all the Spyker designs look new and original.

The C8 uses an Audi V8 engine but they would not confirm the engine source for the B6.

When he asked about the Spyker dealership network, they said that has not be decided. I thought that might be a bit concerning. If it were Lotus based, the Lotus dealers have been established in the US.

Comment

Nice, Matt!
                          With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Originally posted by Rfong View Post

My friend said he sees no obvious Evora or Artega parts on the B6. Except for the Artega interior door panels and Evora front windshield, all the Spyker designs look new and original.
                            I would say that it is not an Evora windshield. The longitudinal curve is missing on the Evora. I do see the Artega doors, and instrument cluster cover etc.

However, the first SSUV show car was built on a VW Touareg platform. That doesn't mean anything. The second SSUV prototype had a Spyker platform.

You cannot make everything from scratch in just a few months. Spyker had to combine existing parts with a unique body.

The first Aileron looks completely different than the current design. The Aileron prototype was built on the wedge shaped, but lengthened, SWB platform, while the subsequent Ailerons have a similar front and rear track.

I love the direction the design is taking, but I hope that the dashboard will develop more in the Aileron direction than the current SSUV set up.

I
                            Rijk

Comment

I agree you cannot built everything from scratch in just a few months and that leaves me with some concerns: The B6 Venator production is scheduled for early 2014! In my opinion that's not realistic, building everything from scratch. So either production will not make early 2014. Or production will start early 2014 but it will not be built from scratch, that means using parts from other carbuilders like Artega. And even than it will still be hard to make early 2014 as the engine choice still has to be made for instance.

Seems a bit like catch 22 to me: Either postponed production, like the Aileron, which was almost completely developed by Spyker but was introduced long ago and is still not in production, at least not in sufficient numbers. Or not a true / pure Spyker product, at least not on par with the previous models. I understand it can not be completely on par with the C8 models because it's cheaper but I am afraid it will not attract the usual Spyker clientele as they might not find it pure enough (unique design / bespoke materials) and also not attract new clientele as I doubt those people are willing to pay a rather big premium compared to, for example a Porsche Cayman or a Lotus Evora.

On a sidenote: Where was this B6 Venator concept built?
                              Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Working...
                              X