No announcement yet.

Spyker files a three billion dollar lawsuit against General Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victor has mentioned that Spyker has chosen a new supplier of V8s, of course it's not GM, neither is it VW or Audi (seem likely to me nothing from VAG at all). BMW seems very unlikely. So what is it then?

Possibly, in random order:
    • Ford
    • Mercedes
    • Tata (Jaguar/LR)
    • Toyota
    • Lotus
    • Volvo/Yamaha
    • Aston Martin (not very likely of course)
    • Chrysler
    • Fiat Group
    • Hyundai

If it's a forced induction engine it might also be a McLaren/Ricardo. BTW I hope they've opted for a dry-sump block.

What do you think?
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Interesting, thanx for sharing!
      Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post

BTW I hope they've opted for a dry-sump block.

What do you think?
        Why is that?
        Rijk

Comment

... Nissan also has a nice V8 5.6L engine available! (Or, is that a Ford engine? Source) As you can see, I am fully on the Japanese track with Lexus or Nissan ... Of course, I would love to see a Ferrari 458 or McLaren MP4 engine in the new Spykers!
          Last edited by amzamz; 07-09-2012, 09:31.

Comment

Well that's an interesting list. For the sake of lightness and COG I would prefer a dry sump Mclaren engine.

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
              Why is that?
              As Reddingius said: lower center of gravity.
              Last edited by IVR007; 07-09-2012, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                ... Nissan also has a nice V8 5.6L engine available! (Or, is that a Ford engine? Source) As you can see, I am fully on the Japanese track with Lexus or Nissan ... Of course, I would love to see a Ferrari 458 or McLaren MP4 engine in the new Spykers!
                You're right! Nissan (/Infiniti) has a couple of V8s from the VK-series (at present the VK50VE, VK56DE & VK56VD)

Comment

Of course, I would love to see a Ferrari 458 or McLaren MP4 engine in the new Spykers!
                  I think that Spyker should stay with normally aspirated, torquey engines. The low end grunt in a super light car makes Spyker stand out.
                  Rijk

Comment

Ford has seemed willing to let their engines go to small, boutique manufacturers before (Panoz, Qvale), so that might be plausible.

Are we so sure BMW would not play? They have a similar arrangement with Morgan.

I still think you might find some interest from Tata to make some money selling a few extra Jaguar V8's. Certainly enough power in the supercharged versions.

Comment

General motors has filed a response to the complaint but I don't think it's made public. Reuters reports:

GM dismisses claims in Spyker's $3 billion lawsuit over Saab | Reuters

Comment

Well we'll see what the court has to say about it all

Comment

... I kind of expected GM to settle this somehow. Perhaps by limited licensing... or by delivery of a small shipment (e.g., 200) engines for use in Ailerons ...

Comment

Press release

Published: 08:34 CEST 01-10-2012 /Thomson Reuters /Source: Spyker N.V. /XAMS: SPYKR /ISIN: NL0010125050
                            GENERAL MOTORS FILES MOTION TO DISMISS IN RESPONSE TO SPYKER/SAAB AUTOMOBILE COMPLAINT

Zeewolde, the Netherlands, 1 October 2012 -- Spyker N.V. ("Spyker") announces General Motors Company ("GM") filed a Motion to Dismiss on September 28th,last, in response to Spyker/Saab Automobile's Complaint dated August 6th, 2012. Spyker and Saab Automobile AB shall oppose the said Motion to Dismiss on November 9th, 2012, assuming the Court grants an extension to which GM has agreed.

Spyker and Saab Automobile AB filed a complaint on August 6th, last with the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan (the "Complaint"), seeking redress for GM's tortuous interference with a transaction between Saab Automobile AB, Spyker and Chinese investor Youngman. GM's tortious interference drove Saab Automobile into bankruptcy in December 2011.

On September 28, 2012, GM filed a Motion to Dismiss in response to the Complaint.

GM argues ,among others, that under Swedish law, which according to GM should apply, there is no cause for action for a "purely financial loss due to tortious interference, absent an allegation of criminal conduct." However, GM argues, the Complaint should also fail in case New York law or Michigan law would apply. As to the substance of the argument, GM argues that, under the Vehicle Supply Agreement ("VSA") and the Automotive Technology License Agreement ("ATLA"), GM had a contractual right to terminate the VSA and ATLA in case of a change of control in Saab. After its investment Youngman would have controlled more than 20% of Saab, which would have caused a "change of control".

It goes without saying that Spyker and Saab Automobile will oppose the Motion to Dismiss, such opposition being due on November 9th, 2012, assuming the Court grants an extension to which GM has agreed.

Comment

... I kind of expected GM to settle this somehow. Perhaps by limited licensing... or by delivery of a small shipment (e.g., 200) engines for use in Ailerons ...
                              Spyker sued for $3 billion, amzamz. It's going to take more than a few engines to satisfy this grievance.
                              With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

I would think that Spyker would accept a settlement of 1/3rd
                                Rijk

Comment

Working...
                                X