Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Wide Body Editions

Hello All!

I recently had a chance to see a widebody C8 next to a standard C8, and the difference was subtle but noticeable. I became curious if anyone knew how many C8's were optioned as widebodies and what years? The tapered midline of the cars make them all a relative widebody, but I also know there was a factory premium with the actual "widebody" option.

Does anyone also know if the option changes the tire sizing or width in the back? It would be a really cool option if the profile bumped to 310+!

On a different matter, do the early C8's with no dash vents cool pretty well, or do you notice a big difference on hot days?

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to joining the owner's forum in the near future!
    Nihil ausus, nihil acquisitus

I think that all the later cars with the 'mass produced' Karmann body are all widebodies. I don't know at what number this changed, but there are many knowledgeable people on this site, that can tell you precisely.

In the long run, the CPP (Coventry Prototype Panel) hand rolled narrow body, like Jeffrey's #007 will be more valuable. Amzamz #45 is also a narrow body, but I don't know if that is made by CPP.

The interior went from zero to two, to three and then to four vents, but only the three to four has the increased AC capacity.

We hope you will join the owners side soon. it is well worth it....
    Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
      I think that all the later cars with the 'mass produced' Karmann body are all widebodies.
      Correct. The Karmann cars can also be distinguished from the CPP examples by their slightly longer nose. The Karmann cars are 11cm longer. They also have the new plastic head lights instead of the polished aluminum examples.
      In order to create objects of timeless beauty, one must respect the past, enjoy the present and look with enthusiasm into the future. www.michielvandenbrink.com

Comment

My widebody question arose after seeing #117 next to #144. Both cars are MY2006 spyders, but only the #117 had a sticker with a $10k "wide body" premium. Did Spyker simply drop the widebody surcharge sometime after #117? Or is #117, in fact, a wider track C8 than #144?

I am continually impressed by the knowledge and dedication on this forum. Thanks!
        Nihil ausus, nihil acquisitus

Comment

Originally posted by BknBlk View Post
          My widebody question arose after seeing #117 next to #144. Both cars are MY2006 spyders, but only the #117 had a sticker with a $10k "wide body" premium.
          Both cars are wide body, with the same track. And as Michael said, both are 4" longer. And he knows this, as he modeled the changes
          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
            And he knows this, as he modeled the changes
            Nope, that was not my job. These changes were already being made at the time I entered Spyker. I watched the Karmann modeler do it, though, as well as witnessing the first new Karmann bodies coming off the production line.
            In order to create objects of timeless beauty, one must respect the past, enjoy the present and look with enthusiasm into the future. www.michielvandenbrink.com

Comment

I do think the added 4 inches and new headlight design helps out the looks of the car a lot. So do the flared fenders.

So Michiel, it's been quite silent around your enterprises, how are they coming along if I may be so bold to ask?

Comment

Where are the extra 4 inches exactly added? I assume to the front? Or has the wheelbase been changed at the time?
                The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
                  So Michiel, it's been quite silent around your enterprises, how are they coming along if I may be so bold to ask?
                  Last April I sold my shares in Vandenbrink Design BV to my business partner: COACHBUILD.com - Van den Brink leaves Vandenbrink

I'm on my own again, doing some fun stuff at the moment, but no coachbuilding projects yet.

Comment

Well if your work on the GTO project was about done, the right thing to do is to move on. I hope to see your legacy on the road some day, in the form of a coachbuilt 599 or anything else by you.

Comment

Well if your work on the GTO project was about done, the right thing to do is to move on.
                      It wasn't done. Far from that. But still, giving my baby away was the best thing for me to do.

I hope to see your legacy on the road some day, in the form of a coachbuilt 599 or anything else by you.
                      So do I.

Comment

So the GTO will most likely become reality (too bad for nomenclature that Ferrari brought their own '599 GTO'), but what about your Fra Mauro? Btw did you see my question about the extra 4" ?
                        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
                          So the GTO will most likely become reality (too bad for nomenclature that Ferrari brought their own '599 GTO'), but what about your Fra Mauro?
                          Not my projects anymore, so I don't expect it.
                          The Fra Mauro? I can create one for you, if you like.
                          Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
                          Btw did you see my question about the extra 4" ?
                          I believe the chassis was lengthened a bit behind the seats to make room for the folding soft top.

Comment

Originally posted by BknBlk View Post
                            My widebody question arose after seeing #117 next to #144. Both cars are MY2006 spyders, but only the #117 had a sticker with a $10k "wide body" premium. Did Spyker simply drop the widebody surcharge sometime after #117? Or is #117, in fact, a wider track C8 than #144?

I am continually impressed by the knowledge and dedication on this forum. Thanks!
                            As far as I know, #070 is the last CPP bodied Spyker, #082 being the first Karmann bodied Spyker.
                            Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

The number of vents seems largely irrelevant to cooling the car, frankly. AC is aspirational in a C8 more than it is actual.

Brett

Comment

Working...
                              X