Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spykers and U.S. airbag exemptions

Found this document on the Federal Register:

Federal Register | Spyker Automobielen B.V.; Grant of Application for Limited Extension of Temporary Exemption From Certain Requirements of FMVSS No. 208

Apparently Spyker had been granted an extension of its previous exemption from compliance with some aspects of the U.S. "advanced" airbag operation requirements. This exemption applies to the current C8 line. According to this document, this exemption expires on December 15, 2010.

Now, this document is dated March 25, 2009, so it is possible that there has been a follow-up request, that has not yet been posted on this government site (I don't expect a government agency to be all that prompt). But does anyone know if the expiration of this exemption has been addressed?

If not, we may have seen the last of the first generation Spykers imported to the U.S. Presumably, the upcoming Aileron is either compliant with these regulations, or will require an exemption of its own.

I don't know any details about the C8 SWB airbag issues, but it may have been solved with the latest model year. We do know Spyker was working 'in the airbag department' as the current model year also has a passenger airbag.

I expect the Aileron to be compliant to these rules.

Comment

Interesting info Matt, I think the aileron will be indeed compliant with all the rules:
      Spyker has budgeted an additional 3,500,000 Euros for 2008-2010 to develop, test and build a fully-compliant advanced air bag system for the new C line vehicle.
      About the 'old' C8:
      Spyker stated that when it filed for the original exemption, the C vehicle line had no air bag system at all, and that the windshield design does not permit a top-mounted air bag on the passenger side, thereby precluding the use of a low risk deployment system
      And the latest 'old' C8s might have this:
      Spyker indicated that it has spent over 3,500,000 Euros bringing the C vehicle line into compliance with all of the high-speed belted and unbelted crash test requirements of the advanced air bag requirements by developing an “interim” driver air bag system for the C vehicle line.
      They mention a driver air bag here, but we know the latest C8s did have passenger air bags as well... Maybe those cars are now fully compliant, who knows?

Also interesting:

In this same grant, NHTSA also exempted Spyker from S7 of FMVSS No. 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment, for the first 10 Spyker C8 vehicles imported into the United States.
      The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Yes, this is a very interesting site to root around in.

FMVSS 108 has to do with weatherability of headlamp lenses and illumiation of overhead highway sighs. This is why you often see low volume cars using headlamp assemblies of other mass market cars.

Many small volume manufacturers have requested and been granted exemptions from air bag standard FMVSS 208 (Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mosler, even Pagani has one pending on this site for the upcoming U.S.-legal C9). As I understand it, Spyker's extension was only for a small part of FMVSS 208. So I believe that accounts for the passenger airbags we have seen in the old C8 line.

As you state, my assumption is that the Aileron series will be fully compliant, but I have not seen any data on this. I guess no news is good news?

Also of note, Koenigsegg had thier own exemptions to FMVSS 108 and 208, which expired on December 31, 2009. So unless their next batch of U.S.-spec cars are fully compliant, they will need to update their exemption as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
          As you state, my assumption is that the Aileron series will be fully compliant, but I have not seen any data on this. I guess no news is good news?
          In the last report that actually contained info about the Spyker brand (is no longer the case now), they mentioned that the aileron was not yet granted permission to go on sale in the States. Makes sense, because we've learned that many parts from the aileron have been changed from that time on. I guess testing yet have to take place to approve the aileron for the US market, and then we'll see whether they're fully compliant...

Comment

I was under the impression that regulatory compliance work for US sale of the Aileron was ongoing. For example, that crash testing was going to be happening this fall?
            With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
              I was under the impression that regulatory compliance work for US sale of the Aileron was ongoing. For example, that crash testing was going to be happening this fall?
              Could very well be, I haven't heard a specific time frame so I've got no idea .

Comment

Since the Aileron isn't in production yet it shouldn't be a problem that it isn't fully compliant (yet).

Comment

Apparently the NHTSA is giving Pagani a hard time, as they were expecting an airbag exemption for their Huayra but were denied recently. See:

The agency has
                  determined that Pagani has failed to demonstrate that compliance would cause substantial
                  economic hardship.
                  Spyker recently filled for an extension of their exemption:
                  Requested Exemption—Spyker has applied for a further extension of its temporary exemption. Specifically, Spyker requests that the exemption from the child and 5th percentile adult female driver out-of-position portions of the advanced air bag provisions of FMVSS No. 208 (S19, S21, S23, and S25) be extended until May 15, 2012.
                  Compliance for the C-line is expected by May 15, 2012. They decided to continue working with continental Automotive instead of using Saab's facilities.

Comment

Working...
                  X