Oooops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooops!

I spun my car out yesterday. I was at a stop sign and looking to make a left turn. Had a buddy behind me in his car so of course I decided to turn it up a notch. Peeled out a bit and then lost control of the car at the apex of the turn. The car literally did a bit of a fishtail spin and bounced around a bit, but fortunately, did not spin out completely. It did happen to scare the sh*t out of me

I know we don't have any computerized stability control or any other dummy assists, but was also surprised that the car spun the way it did. Might be that I need to re-up my driving lessons or perhaps drive a bit less aggressively:lol:

Don't forget that you have "High Performance Summer" tires. They become very hard and lose grip in near freezing temperatures. A little sand or dust on the road will to it to you.

Hope you didn't hit anything (except your pride).
    Rijk

Comment

Good point...was definitely on the cool side in NJ yesterday and there was this very small patch of wetness on the road just where the turn started.

My pride was deeply injured, but thankfully not my baby

Comment

... no battle scars? I seem to be the only one, so far... :lol:

Comment

Don't sweat it Swisstrader, it could have been worse!

YouTube - Burnout Gone Horribly Wrong!

Comment

I like the "that's not F'n good" comment:lol:

But that actually came pretty close to what my car did...can't say I did what this dope did in terms of burning rubber at the start and in my case, very fortunate in that I had on coming traffic in the opposing lane, so could have gotten ugly.

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
            Don't sweat it Swisstrader, it could have been worse!

YouTube - Burnout Gone Horribly Wrong!

Comment

Well fortunately there is no permanent physical damage (to you and the car), maybe a little temporary mental damage
              The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

I often start in second gear from a standing stop...

Comment

Hmmm...no harm to engine longer term?

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post

Comment

I doubt it given the amount of torque generated.

Comment

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
                      I've never done that, but then again I go through rear tires like there is no tomorrow.
                      Rijk

Comment

... an automatic Porsche would start from standstill in 2nd gear normally. I hope they have optimized that...

For me, the first gear (whisper mode off) is the perfect thing to drive away from a parking lot full of on-lookers safely, with biggest possible roar and actually still quite slowly!

When I have spun my car, it was rainy, road all wet, Nurburgring North circuit, (possibly even some oil on the track), I came uphill at about 100mph and probably used a wrong sequence of breaks / gas... According to my GPS recorder, the sideways sliding happened at around 50mph...I would guess it was 3rd gear, or perhaps already in 2nd...I remember how the shocking final seconds during the spinning appeared to last like minutes, but I don't rememeber what exactly I had done wrong.

On the other hand, the handling of the car was perfect for 60,000km, except those few 100m...
                        Last edited by amzamz; 30-04-2010, 06:48.

Comment

Great description!...I always drive off in 1st gear and I ALWAYS drive in non-whisper mode. Can't for the life of me figure out why that toggle switch even exists:lol:

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                          ... an automatic Porsche would start from standstill in 2nd gear normally. I hope they have optimized that...

For me, the first gear (whisper mode off) is the perfect thing to drive away from a parking lot full of on-lookers safely, with biggest possible roar and actually still quite slowly!

When I have spun my car, it was rainy, road all wet, Nurburgring North circuit, (possibly even some oil on the track), I came uphill at about 100mph and probably used a wrong sequence of breaks / gas... According to my GPS recorder, the sideways sliding happened at around 50mph...I would guess it was 3rd gear, or perhaps already in 2nd...I remember how the shocking final seconds during the spinning appeared to last like minutes, but I don't rememeber what exactly I had done wrong.

On the other hand, the handling of the car was perfect for 60,000km, except those few 100m...

Comment

Originally posted by Swisstrader View Post
                            ..and I ALWAYS drive in non-whisper mode. Can't for the life of me figure out why that toggle switch even exists:lol:
                            That switch is for your neighbours who, very coincidentally, look very mad when you drive off in the Spyker on a Sunday morning :lol::lol:
                            The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Neighbors?...what neighbors??!!

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
                              That switch is for your neighbours who, very coincidentally, look very mad when you drive off in the Spyker on a Sunday morning :lol::lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X