X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyker might get the CTS-V Engine

Hi, i am just an enthousiast and i saw this discussion:
    Toyota’s Troubles and a Saab Story - Video - FoxNews.com

The host mentions the fact that Spyker might have to stop using Audi engines because Audi might be a direct competitor soon. Matt Farah of the SmokingTire (who test drove several Spykers) then remarks Spyker might be using the Cadillac CTS-V engines. This is a 556hp V8 which is also found in the current Corvette ZR-1. Because of GM's "friendly" attitude they will probably make no problem of supplying it to Spyker.

Matt Farah also says it will give the Aileron a good power boost.

I personally think that it would be a great engine for the relatively heavy Aileron. Because the power-to-weight would be excellent compared to Ferrari. It would beat the 430 and match the 458 power-to-weight. Together with the Lotus handling setup this can be a great package. It might even get a better Top Gear review this time. Plus it will work especially well on the US market since the tuning and service could be done at any good GM dealer

Anyone heard about this?

By the way: the panel of automotive press on Fox was generally positive (!) over the purchase of Saab. They all thought that if anyone can bring back Saab, Spyker and Victor Muller are the best choice. Much more positive than the Dutch press.
    Last edited by dennis010; 06-03-2010, 14:57.

Welcome Dennis: some good insights all around...p.s. I personally thought the Top Gear review of the Spyker was superb

Comment

GM offers some potent engines. I would hope though that they would stick with an NA unit. Perhaps the 7.0 C5R with 560-570 crank bhp. mmm that would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by dennis010 View Post
        The host mentions the fact that Spyker might have to stop using Audi engines because Audi might be a direct competitor soon.
        But isn't Audi already a competitor for years now? Considering they have the R8 and own Lamborghini. It hasn't been a problem until now.

The Cadillac engine has been mentioned for Spyker's SSUV though.

BTW Welcome

Comment

Welcome Dennis!
          I think that the decision from audi to (in the future) stop delivering motors to Spyker is one coming from the chiefs at VAG. This started with not delivering the V10 and W12 (only for Bentley now) to other brands (Spyker was affected by this because that W12 was planned to be installed in the SSUV).
          And as SpykerOwner said, the cts-v engine is probably ending up in the SSUV already so that's a good thing: they have no problem with delivering this engine to Spyker. I think the aileron could handle it too. But why do you think the aileron is a relatively heavy car? I mean the 458 has a curb weight of 1450 kg and the aileron has one of 1425 kg, IIRC
          The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Spyker doesn't have the sales volume (to date) to be a competitor to Audi.

The great news about the Saab purchase is that Spyker has become a household word, great name recognition overnight!
            With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Definitely true...I went from everyone asking "who's Spyker" to people coming up and talking to me with some knowledge of the transaction...a good thing.

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
              Spyker doesn't have the sales volume (to date) to be a competitor to Audi.

The great news about the Saab purchase is that Spyker has become a household word, great name recognition overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
                Welcome Dennis!
                they have no problem with delivering this engine to Spyker. I think the aileron could handle it too. But why do you think the aileron is a relatively heavy car? I mean the 458 has a curb weight of 1450 kg and the aileron has one of 1425 kg, IIRC
                I thought the Aileron was relatively heavy compared to the C8 (original version). The Aileron is slightly heavier so that doesn't help the 4.2liter. Also considering other manufacturers upped the power as well, perhaps Spyker should provide the CTS-V or a V10 as standard, instead of optional. I just reckon the CTS-V has the fewest question marks (full support and availability by GM and an established fanbase in the US).

For the other posters: Spyker has gotten a lot more publicity. And it's good publicity since Saab owners thank Spyker for the rescue. Saab is also a big brand in the US, all the Saab US dealers are supporting Spyker. Certainly that is a giant marketing boost. If you look over Youtube, you see a lot more movies with a Spyker. It's also funny how everybody keeps saying Spyker is a new car.
                Last edited by dennis010; 07-03-2010, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis010 View Post
                  I thought the Aileron was relatively heavy compared to the C8 (original version). The Aileron is slightly heavier so that doesn't help the 4.2liter.
                  I find it strange that the aileron is suppose to go just as fast from 0-62mph as the 'old' C8, but it has same amount of hp and is heavier.

Today 'de Telegraaf' reported that the aileron spyder won't be delivered with the audi v8, but wth the 'new' engine (from the start). They say Spyker is negotiaiting with bmw (biturbo v8) and GM (cts-v). I don't know if that bmw part is true, but interesting that the spyder won't have the audi v8, so it can take very long until we'll know what the new engine is.

Comment

I was rethinking this news.. Saab is in talks with OEM's, including some german ones and rumour has it VAG isn't part of it. This probably is about platform, parts and engine sharing. If you look at it that way, a partnership with BMW would not be strange, maybe build the new smaller saab on the 1 or 3 series platform. And use the bmw engine for Spyker..?

Comment

The BMW engine rumour was talked about here some time ago, so wondering if this is the same(?)

I was rethinking this news.. Saab is in talks with OEM's, including some german ones and rumour has it VAG isn't part of it. This probably is about platform, parts and engine sharing. If you look at it that way, a partnership with BMW would not be strange, maybe build the new smaller saab on the 1 or 3 series platform. And use the bmw engine for Spyker..?

Comment

Could be, indeed. But what do you owners think? What type of engine is right for the Spyker? What do think of a turbo or supercharger?

Comment

What do think of a turbo or supercharger?
                          Not that I own a Spyker, but I think a supercharger is better because of the smoother power delivery. I.e. you don't want the turbo to kick in when you are driving on the limit in a corner

Comment

BMW certainly has some quality engines in it's reportoire... so it's worthy of a Spyker

I am not saying the Audi 4.2 is bad. Power-to-weight was never an issue with Spyker. It's the choice of a good engine versus a better one. I think that Victor Muller said that the CTS-V engine was also cheaper than a 4.2liter. Assuming build quality and fuel economy is about the same, why would anyone prefer the 4.2? So it's probably time for the 4.2 to go.
                            Last edited by dennis010; 09-03-2010, 00:20.

Comment

One of the special characteristics of the Audi engine in a C8 is the combination of light weight and enormous torque. You drive a Spyker completely different than a Ferrari. And Spyker should keep it that way. No high revving engines would mean that the GM engine would be a better choice than the BMW engine.

I would say that the Audi R8 with the Audi V8 will drive better than with the Lamborghini V10 in about 80% of the driving on public roads. On the track, the high revving V10 is more fun, but daily driving is on torque and not on HP.
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X