The Saab Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
    ... why is it that retro designs always appear bulky and less elegant?
    Another excellent example, the new Camaro.

Or worse, the new Challenger. Follow one and the overriding impression you get is too tall and too fat.

What ever happened to evolutionary design? Different generations of Corvettes were quite different yet somehow always identifiable as Corvettes. What happens when the next generations of these "retro" desgins are due, and there is no logical evolutionary design process?

Should I be looking forward to a rehash of the 1970-1981 Camaro, for the next new Camaro?

Having said that, personally I find this Saab design study not to be in the same "retro" vein, but rather one opinion of what the 92 would look like today, had it continued to be built all these years. I like it.

Comment

Saab Production increasing

"This week, just a few weeks ago since production restarted, Saab Automobile AB and the union, IF Metall, agreed to reduce employee vacations from 4-weeks to 3-weeks.

This agreement was made as production at the Saab factory is expected to ramp up from 100 vehicles per day to 220 vehicles per day beginning on April 12th.

While production started again at Saab a couple weeks ago, it was announced that there could be overtime on Saturdays as the maximum speed on the production line is reached."
      Saab History

Comment

Victor Muller Interview with MotorTrend

This article is a week old and of course starts with the future 92 ..
        It's a good read, nothing really new but interesting info as to which chassis for the new 9-3 and motor/transmission options for the 9-3 and 9-5.
        Exclusive! Victor Muller Shows Us New Saab 92 Sketch, Calls it "Top Priority" | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

The Swedish magazine Muller vill bygga "ny" Saab 92 reported the same interview on the future 92 and showed another "artist's impression" which dates from last year but does not reflect any input from Victor Muller.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DavidMorgan; 08-04-2010, 11:47.

Comment

Which is a good thing as the styling is far too retro for my taste.

Comment

Yet another "Artist's Impression"

Well for a car that no-one will see for another two years minimum Victor Muller's Saab 9.2 is certainly getting plenty of press attention

These are from Car Magazine .. Saab's Mini rivalling 9-2 scooped by CAR | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

Personally I find this very bland, the front has no character at all.. I prefer by far the earlier photos http://www.spykerowner.com/forum/17070-post72.html
            Attached Files

Comment

Update on the new Saab 9-5 from Saab Newsroom

Source: Saab April 13, 2010
              New Saab 9-5 Ready to Roll

•More than 500,000 km of chassis testing on European roads
              •Handling, ride, refinement assessed across 250 measurement criteria
              •Unique challenge of forest test track near Arctic Circle
              •Customer order book already open in many markets

From the frozen wastes of northern Sweden to the baking plains of southern Spain , Saab's chief test driver Peter Johansson and his small team of chassis experts have driven on some of the most challenging roads in Europe to fine-tune the dynamics of the next generation Saab 9-5.

The article is here: New Saab 9-5 Ready to Roll - Saab Newsroom [NS4 version]

Comment

Yesterday the US option list came out, and I have spec'd our car. This was simple, we just checked all boxes. Next week the US prices will be sent to the dealers.

Saab chose JMK Saab in New Jersey to deliver our car. Cathi Maier and Todd Gregory are true Saab enthusiasts, and very excited by the Spyker Saab developments.
                Attached Files
                Rijk

Comment

Cool red sonett What color did you pick (i.e. what form of grey), F spider?
                  Last edited by IVR007; 14-04-2010, 16:46.
                  The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                    .. and I have spec'd our car. This was simple, we just checked all boxes.
                    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wish I could spec my cars the same way. (although I have every available option myself on my 166 except the sunroof )

Comment

Victor at the same dealer, two weeks prior
                      Attached Files
                      Rijk

Comment

I love the sign on the car:

"Not for sale, you can't get it, do not touch!"

Comment

Saab 9-5 preliminary information.

Here is interesting information on new features coming with the 9-5.
                          Saab 9-5 preliminary information - Bi-Xenon SmartBeam headlamps - Saabs United
                          Saab 9-5 preliminary information - DriveSense - Saabs United
                          Saab 9-5 preliminary information - Chassis - Saabs United
                          Have a good read F Spyder

For those of you not familiar with Steven Wade's Saabs United it is the most informative and dynamic Saab blog on the planet .. despite being based in Tasmania
                          SWade Let Saab keep following its own road - CNN.com was instrumental in "liberating" Saab from GM and at Victor Muller's invitation was in Stokholm for the deal signing.

Comment

BAIC shows us the first fake-saab (old 9-5)
                            link is in dutch sorry, but the only thing that's "interesting" is the picture.
                            Grappig: China krijgt ook een Saab 9-5 » Autoblog.nl
                            Louis

Comment

The NA base price for the top of the line Aero (300HP, 4WD) will stay at just under $50K (ex options).

I think that is pretty good positioning in the midst of its competitors.
                              Rijk

Comment

Saab Cars North America ..

Saab Cars North America announced pricing for its all-new 2010 model year 9-5 Aero Sedan launch package. The flagship vehicle will arrive in U.S. dealer showrooms in July.

Saab will lead the new 9-5 launch with its top-of-the line Aero Sedan model, priced at $49,990 MSRP. The Aero, featuring a 300 hp 2.8-litre V6 turbo engine, delivers uncompromised driving performance and is packed with advanced chassis, comfort and safety technologies.
                                Shortly following the 9-5 Aero introduction, a 2.0-litre turbo variant will be added to the 9-5 line-up. Pricing for these 2011 model year vehicles will start at under $40,000 MSRP.

“The new 9-5 Sedan stays true to its unique Swedish heritage and Saab DNA. The 9-5 showcases progressive Scandinavian design, an exhilarating driving experience and responsible performance with its all-turbo powertrain line-up,” said Mike Colleran, Saab Cars North America President and COO. “Saab’s distinctive new flagship brings a fresh, alternative choice to the premium sedan segment.”

The 2010 Infiniti M37x starts at $48,400 for 330-hp.
                                Cadillac's CTS at $43,465 in comparable all-wheel drive trim with a 304-hp 3.6-liter.
                                Mercedes-Benz's 268-hp E350 $48,925
                                BMW's new 2011 528i will start at $44,500.
                                Both the Mercedes and BMW are rear-drive and tend to run comparatively thin on standard equipment.
                                Last edited by DavidMorgan; 21-04-2010, 20:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X