A Stereo in my old C8 Spyder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stereo in my old C8 Spyder

I have had a few requests for this so I thought i would start a new post. Some comments:

1) I no longer have this car (088) so i cannot go take more pics.
    2) If you are going to do an installation, make sure you get the electronic diagram before beginning. This is a tricky one.
    3) If you do a speaker install in the doors, make sure you get the higher power hydraulic arms because speakers are not light--even the non-magnet ones that were in mine.
    4) I labeled the pictures as best as i could to help you understand where of the speakers were placed.
    5) I had no input on what was installed so if you ask me "why did you install a Pioneer?" my answer is "That is what the Spyker guys put in there".
    6) There was a lot of deliberation as to if/where an amp would fit. The final answer was "nowhere". I'm sure you can place one in the trunk or in the front section of the car but I was not willing to go through that pain the butt. I just wanted some tunes!
    7) When it was all done, the sound was a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Not because of the equipment or anything else but there is no amp and the fact that we had to use coax speakers. I'm also a pretty tough guy to please when it comes to car audio. Way better than nothing but don't expect to make it sounds great.
    8) This should be #1.... USE A LOT OF DYNO MAT. If nothing else, this exercise showed me how a couple pounds of padding in the doors can fix a lot of "problems" that you thought you had. The fact of the matter is that all the little squeaks and whatnot make you wonder if something is wrong with your car. There is no deadening within the car itself. I WILL be adding dyno to my car the next time I have time. Kills the resonating of the sound while driving down the road as well.
    9) Ask questions! That is what this board is for.

Dan
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Close-up of passanger tweeter from outside.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	72428

Name:	Deck in dash.JPG
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	72429

Name:	Deck in dash wider view.JPG
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	72430

Name:	Lt speaker with door down.JPG
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	72431

Name:	Pass side view of tweeter on dash.JPG
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	72432

Name:	Rt door with speaker- door up.JPG
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	72433

Thanks for taking the time to post Dan

Comment

Thanks for posting these pics! I prefer the dash without the radio ofcourse but I can imagine you would like to hear some music and have a navigation from time to time. And I must say this is a very neat solution. Thanks for posting these pics!
      Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
      Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

Why didn't Spyker installate a radio, with je marks of a Spyker intereur? So new radio in so beautiful dashboard is not so pritty, and the sound of the engine is nice I think. Hopely make Spyker that a option for the future and people as Dan don't do it by himself. But the speakers are really nice in the doorpanels. It is of they are all the time... so from the factory from Spyker. That's a lot easy'er, and they make money on it (That's what I think). But Dan, you have really nice work. Be proud of yourself... and that you have a Spyker of course, a dream for everyone on this site.

Comment

I also remember seeing the radio placed somewhere else. I believe it was a UK based Spyder but I don't remember where they put the radio. Maybe in the centreconsole?

But I can't find the picture anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by JVProduction View Post
            Why didn't Spyker installate a radio, with je marks of a Spyker intereur? So new radio in so beautiful dashboard is not so pritty, and the sound of the engine is nice I think. Hopely make Spyker that a option for the future and people as Dan don't do it by himself. But the speakers are really nice in the doorpanels. It is of they are all the time... so from the factory from Spyker. That's a lot easy'er, and they make money on it (That's what I think). But Dan, you have really nice work. Be proud of yourself... and that you have a Spyker of course, a dream for everyone on this site.
            To be clear, Spyker guys did this installation. It was not their choice of electronics. The stuff they sent over got STOLEN at customs so they went to Best Buy or something to get this stuff. It was decent but not what I would do... I do not, however, hold this against them at all. I could have easily pulled out the stuff they put in and replaced it with my own since all the hard work was already done.

I have been harping at Spyker to install radios sine I bought this car. So far it is not going my way. I say, "even Ferrari has a radio! It sucks but at least it has one!"

Guys, these are just cars! I used to be very envious of guys with nice cars until I got a chance to interact with a lot of them. I promised myself that I wouldn't be one of "those guys" who are complete a-holes (translation for those of you who aren't fluent in English: a-hole=asshole=not a nice person). I suggest you spend time learning about the people who you envy so you can learn from them so you can be the same position at some point in your life. I accredit most of my successes to learning every day and from those willing to teach. Life is short so don't take things for granted. I'll get off my soap box now. Cheers!

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan for explain more about this project. And I agree that life is short, you must take everything out of it.

Comment

I guess it is now possible to have a stereo fitted in the factory? Have a look at this car which even has an iPod connector!
                But the radio is not visible in the interior, so I guess it is hidden in the glovebox.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post

I have been harping at Spyker to install radios sine I bought this car. So far it is not going my way. I say, "even Ferrari has a radio! It sucks but at least it has one!"

Dan
                  The new Aileron has a radio as standard equipment, so I think they listened to you after all.
                  Rijk

Comment

My red car was just shipped to LA for a professional install job. The bad news is that it will take a month to get the job done. When it is finished, it will have all the bells and whistles (nav, amps, sub, etc.) That is... if they can find places to put all that crap. I'll post pics when it is done. they are showing it in LA next weekend at some auto show so maybe it will become famous!

Dan

Comment

also, noticed in that post that they are using "space" brand speakers. Holland installed those pieces of garbage in 088. they are non-magnet speakers which make them lighter but they sound awful. I would prefer the paper $.99 store speakers over those. seriously, they are poop.

Comment

i have the low down on this... you get a two tweeters, two midrange, volume control and an ipod connection. NO AMP, NO RADIO/CD, or anything like that. It is underpowered but it is better than nothing. It is an option on all 2008 models.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
                          i have the low down on this... you get a two tweeters, two midrange, volume control and an ipod connection. NO AMP, NO RADIO/CD, or anything like that. It is underpowered but it is better than nothing. It is an option on all 2008 models.
                          You are talking about the system on the Spyder now? Can't imagine the Kharma sound system on the Aileron is an underpowered system because Kharma is usually very serious stuff (Kharma)

Comment

Working...
                          X