Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AX lover
    replied
    I see a new rear wing. And maybe they changed something to the front bodywork?
    Why? Because there are no stickers on it

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied
    It looks like Jarek Janis will be the second Spyker Squadron driver this season. The Squadron was testing this week at Vallelunga and both Tom Coronel and Jarek Janis where there to test the 2009 updates on the C8 Laviolette GT2R.

Sport&GT | LMS - La Spyker prova a Vallelunga

In two weeks time at the start of the Geneva autoshow Spyker will present the car for the new season and also the new drivers.

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied
    Tom Coronel joins Spyker Squadron

Spyker has confirmed the first driver of their 2009 Le Mans Series line-up. 36-year old Dutchman Tom Coronel will race the team’s Spyker C8 Laviolette GT2R in the five races of the Le Mans Series as well as the Le Mans 24 Hours in June. The second driver is still to be announced.

Coronel has raced for Spyker in several races in the last couple of years, most recently in the final Le Mans Series race at Silverstone in September of 2008. He will combine his Le Mans Series campaign with his fifth consecutive year in the FIA WTCC in which he races a Seat.

The Dutchman will be joined by another experienced driver as his team mate. Spyker Squadron has confirmed it is still negotiating with several other drivers. including Spyker regulars Peter Dumbreck and Ralf Kelleners. A formal announcement regarding the full line-up for 2009 is expected next month at the 79th International Motor Show in Geneva. This would mean the line-up would be complete prior to the Le Mans Series Official Test Days at the Paul Ricard HTTT circuit in France.

Source: Planetlemans.com | Tom Coronel joins Spyker Squadron

Good news!

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied
    We will try to post some livestreams here like we did last season. But I'm not sure if they work in the US.

Leave a comment:

• Quinn31
    replied
    One more question, is it possible to watch LMS or FIA GT races online? I'm in the states so I don't get any of those races on tv and the ALMS product isn't great racing compared to European sports car racing.

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied
    Maybe Spyker will switch to GT1 with the new Aileron

Leave a comment:

• Stranger
    replied
    Originally posted by AX lover View Post
    The rules for GT1 will change in 2010, so manufacturers stop(ped) supporting it. And as far as I know the rules for 2010 aren't clear yet.

That is the reason why Aston Martin and Corvette quit. And also the running costs are very high in GT1. You notice that GT2 is becoming much more attractive with new entries: BMW M3, Corvette, Lamborghini Gallardo, Jaguar XK (rumour) and maybe some others?
    Errr...not entirely correct. Yes, the rules will change, but that has nothing to do with manufacturers quitting.

As a matter of fact Aston Martin and Corvette have already created GT2 cars, which would fit into the new GT1 regulations quite easily.

The 2010 regulations seem to be known...just not to the general public. The whole idea of Mr. Ratel is to start a GT1 World Championship with manufacturer support...(remains to be seen if he reaches that goal).

The running costs in GT1 are indeed way too high for a car that can fight for the win, hence only four cars in the LMS and even less (1-3) in the ALMS.
    FIA GT seems to be the place to be for the current GT1 models, but even there they are in their final season. The number of GT1 cars has dropped as teams are unable to explain to their sponsors why they should pay for an expensive GT1 car that is not eligible as of 2010. It is the main reason why Team Modena switched to GT2 and teams like Jetalliance have taken a sabbatical.

As for GT1 cars in the future, don't look surprised if you see some of the current GT2 and GT3 models back in GT1.

Leave a comment:

• Quinn31
    replied
    The rules for GT1 will change in 2010, so manufacturers stop(ped) supporting it. And as far as I know the rules for 2010 aren't clear yet.

That is the reason why Aston Martin and Corvette quit. And also the running costs are very high in GT1. You notice that GT2 is becoming much more attractive with new entries: BMW M3, Corvette, Lamborghini Gallardo, Jaguar XK (rumour) and maybe some others?
    that's too bad, because GT1 was always my favorite class to watch.

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quinn31
    replied
    That list is VERY interesting considering the GT1 class. They have no Aston Martin's, no Corvette's, but the interesting thing is they have a Ferrari 550. That's got to be at least 5 years old (not saying an older car is a bad thing) considering they switched to a 575 for a few years and then stopped production all together.
    I have a few questions though...

1. Why is there such a small GT1 field in every racing league it seems. (LMS, ALMS, FIA)? What makes the GT1 class less popular to run than the

2. Will anyone ever build a new GT1 Ferrari, maybe based off the 599?

Leave a comment:

• Stranger
    replied
    Given the current situation with teams pulling out one Spyker is something one should be happy with.

They could have just said "screw it"...better to have 1 car on which they can focus than no cars or two cars running at the back of the field.

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied
    Only 1 factory Spyker next year in te Le Mans Series!
    http://www.lemans-series.com/ml/imag...entry_list.pdf

But it is nice to see that there are 5 different cars:
    Ferrari F430 GT
    Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
    Spyker C8 Laviolette GT2R
    Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 GT2
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT2

Should be a nice battle! But it is a shame that there is only one Spyker

Leave a comment:

• AX lover
    replied
    That was already mentioned by me in post #3 of this thread

Leave a comment:

• Quinn31
    replied
    Just to add a bit more. Speedy racing who ran Spykers last year is supposedly discontinuing their GT2 Spyker program to focus on a LMP program according to this article. Planetlemans.com | Speedy Racing-Team Sebah confirms its drivers
    Last edited by Quinn31; 26-01-2009, 03:26.

Leave a comment:

• Quinn31
    replied
    @Quinn31, there have been some plans for this in the past. But no team in the States has bought a Spyker to race in ALMS (as far as we know).

But the Spyker Squadron (factory team) has been present at Sebring a couple of times. Don't know exactly when that was.

This year Spyker will run in the LMS and Le Mans with one or two cars. But this still has to be officially announced!
    Thanks for the information. I remember when the Squadron competed at Sebring. Peter Kox was driving for them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X