• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the Spyker's hit Verstappen...

Comment

Race 2 hours report

Sun 27 Apr 2008 Monza after two hours of racing

We are two hours in the race now and the Spyker’s are running in a fifth and eight position. Car number 85 started from the pit lane after being penalized in yesterday’s qualifying session. Cockpit temperatures were too high and the team decided to start from the pit lane instead of the back of the field. This gave the team the advantage to start on warm tires and save two laps worth of fuel.

Early in the race there were two yellow flag situations. The second was caused by a serious shunt of one of the Audi prototype’s as it looked they were hit from behind by one of the Pescarolo’s. As the field of 44 cars compressed behind the safety car, Spyker number 85 was able to re-join the field and started to compete for positions.

Almost one hour in the race Andrea Chiesa was the first to return the car to the pit lane. The mechanics refueled the number 94 and fitted new tires while Benjamin jumped in the car. Ten minutes later Ralf Kelleners also returned to the box for new tires, fuel and a driver change. At that point car number 85 was running in a seventh position and Peter Dumbreck rejoined the GT2 field in an eight position just in front of the other Laviolette GT2R.

Ralf Kelleners: “The first stint was okay but I had hoped that our pace was a bit closer to the rest of the GT2 field. The car is running smoothly except for a small problem when shifting down but we managed to find an easy workaround and should be okay”.

Andrea Chiesa: “We have a bit understeer in the # 94 and I hope that Benjamin’s new tires will solve the problem. Otherwise the car runs well and without any problems”.

At 14:45 Benjamin Leuenberger returned the Swiss number 94 car to the box for a regular stop. The stop was a bit challenging for the mechanics as the team next door also planned a stop. With 44 cars at Monza space is limited and the team had to push back the car a little bit to be able to refuel the car. Andrea Chiesa rejoined the field in a ninth position and just set his quickest lap time.

Just a few minutes ago also Peter Dumbreck returned to the box. Peter was running in a fourth position. Alexei took over and rejoined in a seventh place. Currently Alexei is running in a fifth- and Andrea Chiesa in an eight position.
      Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

-edit: oeps! Posted the same text -
        Last edited by AX lover; 27-04-2008, 14:23.

Comment

#94 running in 7th place
          #85 running in 8th place

Comment

#85 running in 5th place (4 pitstops)
            #94 running in 6th place (6 pitstops)

I don't know why the #94 car made 6 pitstops. Most cars in the class made 4 stops. There is now a long safety car period becaue of a huge crash.

Comment

Monza after four hours of racing

After four hours of racing in the second Le Mans Series round; the 1000 km of Monza both cars are still running fine. The #85 Dumbreck, Vasiliev, Kelleners is running in a fifth place while the other car, the Swiss Speedy Racing Team Laviolette, is in sixt position.

After two hours Peter Dumbreck returned the car from a fourth position to the pit box to handover the car to Alexei Vasiliev. Peter Dumbreck: “My stint was fine and everything is going well so far. I took me some time to get up to speed and learn the new circuit and its bearings but my lap times were in the mid 52’s and I think they were the quickest with the Spyker in the race so far. After Ralf I will do another stint so I hope he returns the car in a good position”.

Meanwhile Andrea pitted for a regular stop and switched seats with Benjamin in the sister car. Twenty minutes later Alexei Vasiliev also returned the other car. Alexei was running in a fifth position. Ralf took over but unfortunately the car stalled when trying to start it. It took about 30 seconds to look into the issue and fortunately the problem was easily solved.

Alexei Vasiliev: “The setup of the car is fantastic, the car is very easy to drive. I only had some problems with downshifting and had to change my style of driving to cope with the problem. Unfortunately because of this we lose a bit of time”.

Thirty minutes ago Benjamin returned the car and handed it back to Andrea. Soon after Andrea went out he called over the radio that he had to return to the pit with a problem. The car was pushed in the box and the mechanics found a faulty wheel drive pack was the cause. Andrea is currently running in a sixth position.

Benjamin Leuenberger: “The second stint went well. In the beginning I could push hard but later on the brakes became a bit soft and long. We also had a few problems with changing gears. It did not always work and I had to be careful not to over-rev the engine.

Currently the safety car is out after a major accident with one of the prototypes. The driver is still in the car and being checked by medical staff now. Car 94 just made a quick stop for fuel only.

Source: Spyker Squadron

Comment

#85 is 5th and #94 is 6th. Not bad!

Comment

Race results

With the lead car in the final lap of the race, the camera switches to the last corner. Their comes the winning Peugeot, passing the Spyker #85, the camera follows the #8 Peugeot taking the checkered flag. But in the background you can see the Spyker turn into the pits, and therefore not taking the flag...

lmsracecla.pdf

Source: RIS Time Keeping Team

Comment

If I look HERE the #85 Spyker is classified. What is true?

Comment

Taking the flag litterally means passing the start / finish line on the track and get flagged by the official. By this definition #85 did not take the flag and therefore is not classified...

...However it is possible, depending on where the pitbox is situated compared to the start / finish line, that #85 did pass the start / finish line in the pitlane and therefore completed the race distance and therefore is classified.

I don't know the rules, so it's hard to tell whether the #85 Spyker will keep her excellent 5th position.

Fingers crossed!

Comment

And isn't it so that if you stop in the last round you are still classified?

Comment

"Peugeot wins at Monza with Lamy-Sarrazin while the 85 Spyker comes in the pits and does not qualify…or does it? what kind of move is that? let’s await the decision of the stewards…"

Source: Planet Le Mans - Planetlemans.com

I agree: All we can do now is await the decision of the stewards...

Comment

IMSA Performance Matmut #76 excluded from Monza race results

The IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche #76 that won the Le Mans Series 1000km of Monza earlier today was excluded after it was found to be non-compliant with the existing Le Mans Series regulations.

Several hours after the race had ended the technical scrutineers found the car in breach of article 5.4.3f of the 2008 spefications of the ACO. This meant that (a part of) the airbox did not comply to the regulations.

As a result the race winning Porsche was excluded from the race, handing over the victory to the Farnbacher Racing Ferrari 430 GT2. The Farnbacher Porsche that crossed the line in third place is promoted to second place with the #99 JMB Racing Ferrari 430 GT2 now in third place.

The French squad will be able to appeal the decision by the stewards, at a cost of € 3,000.

Source: Planet Le Mans

So that could mean, depending on the decision of the stewards (concerning #85), 4th and 5th in class for Spyker!

Comment

Race report

Mon 28 Apr 2008 SNORAS Spyker Squadron Monza Race report

In great conditions the two SNORAS Spyker Squadron cars appeared at the start this afternoon for the second round of the Le Mans Series. It was only three weeks ago that the Dutch team finished fifth in its first race ever with their new GT2 racer, the Spyker C8 Laviolette GT2R. After the first race this season the SNORAS Spyker Squadron crew spent their time well on new developments and arrived in Monza with a new radiator exit duct.

The cars qualified in ninth and eleventh position for today’s 1000 km of Monza but the race director penalized the number 85 car for too high cockpit ambient temperatures. Instead of startting from the back of the field the team decided this morning to start from the pit lane. This gave the team the advantage to start the race on warm tires and save two laps worth of fuel.

At 12:50 the race started in sunny and warm conditions and a fair crowd filled the grandstands. In the early stages of the race there were two full course yellow situations. As the field of 44 cars compressed behind the safety car, car number 85 was able to join the field and was soon running in a seventh position in class. In the first hours of the race the other Spyker, the Speedy Racing Team C8, ran trouble-free except for a bit of understeer.

After about three and a half hours in the race Andrea Chiesa called the team over the radio to report a problem with the car and shortly after he returned to the pit box. The car was pushed in the box and the mechanics found that a faulty wheel drive pack was the cause. It took a few minutes to fix the problem and Andrea could join the field still running in sixth position.

Both cars gradually moved forward in the competitive GT2 field and at one point the Kelleners-Vasiliev-Dumbreck car ran in fourth position. Four hours in the race the safety car went out for the third time after a major accident with one of the prototypes. Unfortunately car number 85 was just behind the leader and was caught by the safety car. The car it was chasing, the number 99 Ferrari 430, was fortunate as it was waved by the safety car and therewith got an advantage of a lap. The Speedy Racing car missed the two lap fuel advantage of starting from the pit lane and came in under yellow for the necessary splash and dash to finish the race.

After almost five hours of racing the leading Peugeot was in its final race lap when Peter Dumbreck called the the team over the radio that there was a problem with the engine. While the Peugeot 908 LMP1 crossed the finish line Peter could just made it to the pit box. Peter Dumbreck: “I had a good stint, we set the quickest time at the end so our speed was good and then in the last lap the engine let go in the second chicane”. The car could not be restarted to do another lap and regulations say that a car needs cross the finish line to be classified in the results and the car’s fifth position was lost.

The Speedy Racing Team Spyker driven by Benjamin Leuenberger and Andrea Chiesa was one place behind Peter Dumbreck’s car and now finished in fifth place. Benjamin: “We finished in P5 and that is what we hoped for. We knew that with a good race pace and without too much problems we could finish in top-5 and that is what we did today. We had one small problem in our third stop but the crew fixed it very quickly. The setup was quite good and Andrea also drove brilliant today. I hope for another top-5 finish at Spa in two weeks time”.

Peter van Erp, managing director Spyker Squadron: “We had a good race today. We have had one problem with the 85 where we had to reset the fuse of the fuel pump after a pit stop and lost about a minute. And then, right at the end of the race, in the last lap, the camshaft chain went. This is really disappointing and I cannot understand why it happened this way”.

“Our decision to start from the pit lane was good” Peter continued “but unfortunately we lost a lap on the 99 car with the safety car. It was a tough weekend; although our cars are 1.7 seconds quicker than last year at Monza the field of 12 GT2 class is of very high quality and sometimes it was a though battle”.

The trailers are already on their way home; all time will be required to prepare the cars for the next race in two weeks time at Spa, Belgium.

Source: Spyker Squadron

Updated results: lmsracecla.pdf

Source: RIS Time Keeping Team
                              Last edited by Laviolette GT2R; 28-04-2008, 08:17.

Comment

To bad the #85 Spyker isn't classified! Maybe the camshaft chain broke because of the problems they had with changing gears.

We also had a few problems with changing gears. It did not always work and I had to be careful not to over-rev the engine.
                                So let's hope they can solve the problems with changing gears. Maybe a podiumposition in Spa?

Comment

Working...
                                X