Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there another planet with life out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there another planet with life out there?

... interesting news today: a planet was found, "Kepler 22b", probably having similar conditions like earth, gravity similar, temperature similar, solar energy density similar, etc. Existence of a large quantity of water (oceans), an oxygen atmosphere, or even life would be possible... fascinating thought, isn't it? ... however, it is 600 light years away! That means, we are very unlikely to ever know the truth. Even at the speed of light, that is a 1,200 years return journey, and no Spyker race car can help :lol:, nothing can go faster than light. Why do we fund such research at all? The discovery of the Americas was peanuts, and it had a real relevance for our life today, the Atlantic takes just a few hours across.

(source)
    Attached Files

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
    ..., nothing can go faster than light.
    Are we sure about this?
    Rijk

Comment

... not exactly sure... In science, we can only be sure about things we can measure, see, hear, smell, taste, feel, etc. and logic consequences thereof. Positive results, so to say.

If a phenomenon has never been observed, that doesn't mean it cannot exist. Many people have tried to prove Einstein wrong! No success so far! You know, he was a genius!

Faster than light objects are discussed at length, e.g., in Wikipedia. Relativity theory would make it possible for the very fast traveller to live longer, and reach far away stars during his lifetime, but on his return to earth... everybody here will be gone (and we are back to my above calculation of 1,200 years for the trip).

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
        ....the Atlantic takes just a few hours across.
        That is today... Who knows what the future holds...

About Kepler: It's not yet sure whether it's water or a different liquid is it?

Interesting!
        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Even Einstein posited tachyons that travel faster than light. But they never go as slow as light, either, so no help there.

There is an interesting bit of research going on in Europe now where they are following up on an anomolous set of research results that may call into question the speed of light (in a vacuum) speed limit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sc...tists-say.html

Personally, I am opposed to speed limits (although I reluctantly acknowledge those imposed by the laws of physics!
          With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

:lol::lol::lol: (perhaps I shouldn't laugh here...)

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post

Personally, I am opposed to speed limits (although I reluctantly acknowledge those imposed by the laws of physics!
              HaHaHa...
              Rijk

Comment

Working...
              X