No announcement yet.

The Saab Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did a quick rendering of Lexus ct200h and the new saab 9-5, my idea of the saab 9-1

I will try to make a better version when I get time
    Attached Files

Comment

Look in what car I sat today
      Attached Files

Comment

Your new Spyker? Cool.

How is/feels the build quality of the 9-5? And don't forget to say hello to the Spyker stand girls!
        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
          Your new Spyker? Cool.
          Personally I prefer the 9-3X for some reason.

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
          How is/feels the build quality of the 9-5? And don't forget to say hello to the Spyker stand girls!
          Very good. It feels like a modern, well developed car. The button layout in the centre console is not my favourite section of the interior though. I like the rest a lot.

Comment

Published: 16:16 CET 15-03-2010 /HUGIN /Source: Spyker Cars N.V. /AEX: SPYKR /ISIN: NL0000380830
            Saab Automobile Appoints New Sales Director

15 March 2010
            Experienced automotive senior executive joins Saab
            Responsible for Saab's global sales operations
            Recruited to optimize sales including three new products in the next 16 months
            Saab Automobile today announced the appointment of Adrian Hallmark as Executive Director, Sales.
            Hallmark joins Saab's senior management team from Volkswagen, where he was Executive Director of Asia, responsible for operations in 50 markets, including China and Japan. He takes up his new position with immediate effect and will be based at Saab's headquarters in Trollhättan, Sweden, where he will report directly to Saab Automobile President and CEO, Jan Åke Jonsson.
            Hallmark assumes responsibility for Saab's global sales operations from Knut Simonsson, who retains the position of Executive Director, Brand and Marketing.
            "Saab is embarking on a new era as an independent company and I am delighted to be joining the management team at such an exciting time," said Hallmark. "With three new products about to be launched and a re-energized dealer network in place, I look forward to building sales volumes and reinforcing the brand's presence in major markets around the world."
            Announcing the appointment, Jan Åke Jonsson said: "I am very pleased to welcome Adrian to our senior management team. His broad range of experience makes him ideally suited to this role and I am confident he will add significant value as we start to regain our position in various markets and further grow the Saab business." He continued: "Over the next 16 months we will be launching three new products - the 9-5 Sedan, the 9-4X and the 9-5 SportCombi - Adrian's contribution will be vital in optimizing the sales of these exciting new products."

Hallmark is a former Managing Director of Porsche Cars GB Ltd and has also been responsible for Bentley's global sales, marketing and PR activities. He served as Executive Vice President Volkswagen of America Inc, based in Detroit, before taking up his position as Executive Director of Asia.

Comment

Saab Production Line Rolls Again

From Saab production lines roll again - The Local Published: 22 Mar 10 11:32 CET

At exactly 9.17am on Monday, Saab Automobile's production director Gunnar Brunius cut the yellow ribbon to restart the production lines at the firm's Trollhättan factory.

The body of a new Saab 9-5 began the slow process towards the end of the line bearing the text Saab 001 to symbolise the new start after the recent takeover by Dutch Spyker Cars.

Spyker Cars CEO Victor Muller was on hand to receive a standing ovation among Saab staff.

Saab's new dawn created a buzz of media interest and Victor Muller and Saab CEO Jan Åke Jonsson were obliged to repeat their obligatory handshake over the bonnet of the new 9-5.

Jessica Karlsson, one of the fitters assigned to the first vehicle, has worked for Saab since 1996 and there were times that she thought she had built her last car.

"Yes, everybody thought so the way the situation was looking. But this is a moment we have really been waiting for and look forward to. It will be fun to get going again," she said.

Many of the Saab employees bore a badge with the simple message "I love Saab."

The firm plans to manufacture 500 cars this week, with production increasing to 1,090 within three weeks. Production will mainly concern the Saab 9-3, but also a first run of the new 9-5.
              Attached Files

Comment

From WSJ:

By Jeff Bennett

DETROIT (Dow Jones)--Spyker Cars NV (SPYKF, SPYKR.AE) won $1.2 million worth of Michigan tax credits, clearing the way for the company to locate its Saab Cars North America headquarters in a Detroit suburb.

The Michigan Economic Growth Authority granted the credits, which run over five years, during a meeting in Lansing on Tuesday. Spyker had asked for the financial support in exchange for moving Saab's headquarters to Royal Oak.

Mike Colleran, Saab's chief operating officer, plans to move employees into the new site by the end of the month. Saab's current offices are located near General Motors Co. in downtown Detroit.

Spyker, which bought Saab from General Motors Co. for $74 million in January, plans to initially employ about 60 people, although that number could more than double within the next four years. The average weekly wage will be $1,693.

Saab and Spyker will act as one company with Saab headquartered in the U.S. and Spyker retaining its current home in Zeewolde, the Netherlands.

A new auto maker headquarters would be a much needed boost for Michigan's image and economy, which has been rocked as auto makers and suppliers have trimmed their work forces amid the economic slowdown. Spyker plans to invest $2.4 million in the site.

Most auto makers and suppliers have attempted to keep a presence in Michigan, which is traditionally seen as the heart of the auto industry. GM has its headquarters in downtown Detroit, while Ford Motor Co. (F) is located in Dearborn, Mich., and Chrysler Group LLC's home is in Auburn Hills, Mich.

Saab will manage its advertising, sales, and dealership development from the location, according to its proposal filed with the growth agency. Future operations could include distribution for Canada and Mexico and an onsite call center operation.

The state had scheduled a similar tax incentive meeting for Saab late last year. That was canceled after potential buyer Koenigsegg Group AB withdrew its bid to buy Saab.

-By Jeff Bennett, Dow Jones Newswires; jeff.bennett@dowjones.com; 248-204-5542

Comment

Thanks for posting DavidMorgan and Swisstrader.

The firm plans to manufacture 500 cars this week
                  Pretty amazing, a small growing sports car maker has bought a Swedish car manufacturer that makes more cars every week than there are Spykers on the road

Comment

+ YouTube Video
                    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

"The requested video is not available"

Comment

New SAAB 92 Road Test !!!!!!

For the first time you can read Autocar UK's review on the new SAAB 92 and some excellent photos.

When a car is created by aircraft engineers, one is inclined to expect something really outstanding in both design and performance. This attitude of mind comes in no small measure as a result of those special qualities demanded by modern flying, which, when translated to car terms, generally produce the succès d'estime.

Such were my reflections when I took over the new Swedish Saab 92 at the start of a 500-mile road test, the first to appear in the British Press, and I was not disappointed. Indeed, it would be a very biased motorist who could find any serious complaint against a twin-cylinder family saloon of less than 8hp which can put 53 miles into an hour without strain and has the road-holding properties of real sporting machinery, albeit at a petrol consumption of nearly 40mpg.

The Saab aircraft company and its chief car designer, Mr Gunnar Ljungstrom, are to be congratulated on a really intelligent attempt to produce a small, inexpensive car, which, in the words of the high-pressure salesman, “has everything”.

..... "a twin-cylinder family saloon of less than 8hp which can put 53 miles into an hour without strain" Yes, Test Date 28 October 1949

Although the Saab bristles with novel features, it is its performance that wins the day. As a medium for putting in fantastic average speeds over rough, twisty roads it has few rivals in its class, at least in my humble opinion. And having driven 131 miles in 2 hours 59 minutes, I am in a position to enthuse.

The engine is comparatively quiet up to about 55mph, but there’s a momentary vibration around 45mph, which disappears as the revs rise. Initially the left-hand driving position seems strange, especially as Sweden drives on our side of the road, but after a few miles one settles down behind the well-raked two-spoked steering wheel with a feeling that here is a car capable of being placed to the inch.

Lockheed hydraulic brakes are fitted, with 8in drums that proved very efficient. It was possible to carry out a hands-off emergency stop from 60mph, the car pulling up with complete safety in a dead straight line.
                        I gave full marks for the behaviour of the independent suspension during this period of somewhat hasty motoring. Not only were the worst bumps effectively damped, but I was abetted to corner at speeds which would have propelled a more conventional car over the hills and far away.

Before the car was somewhat regretfully returned to its rightful owners, I was given a hair-raising display of its stability by the chief of Saab's testing department, Rolf Mellde, a well-known competition driver who last year managed to boost the output of his personal DKW to something over 55bhp. He drove me to a deserted stretch of dual carriageway and proceeded without any intimation to lock the car over from one side to the other at well over 50mph. How it managed to stay upright I shall never know, but it did.

There's much more to read here: Saab 92 car reviews & latest news from the experts at Autocar
                        and of course the photos.. Enjoy the 1949 road test ..

Comment

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
                          You clicked too soon. Try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
                            It's here: YouTube - Saab resumes production

Comment

2011 Saab 9-5 First Look: Good article from Edmunds.

2011 Saab 9-5 First Look
                              Edmunds the US online motor magazine drove the 9-5 with VM and the article gives more insight as to the future... Below are extracts..

He looks across at us and says, "Crazy isn't it? To get the first 9-5, I had to go and buy the company."

Victor Muller is the Dutch entrepreneur who has rescued Saab from the dustbin of history by purchasing the remnants of the Swedish car company out of General Motors' forced bankruptcy. He's an adamant, outspoken kind of car guy, which is how he managed to start Spyker cars in 2000 at the age of just 41. And it's this temperament that leads him to hand over the keys to a preproduction 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo6 XWD and invite us to drive him into town from the Schiphol airport in Amsterdam where we met him.

We did the right thing and accepted.

But we've already figured out that this 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo6 XWD is far from the sort of car you'd expect from a company just emerging from bankruptcy. This is the full Aero trim, for one thing. Plus the Holden-engineered 2.8-liter V6 is enhanced by a Borg-Warner twin-scroll turbocharger, and the result is 296 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque at 2,300-5,200 rpm. (We can't help but occasionally rev the engine just to watch the needle on the boost gauge swing around the dial and hear the slight whistle of the turbine.)

Plus this car has the latest, trickest Haldex all-wheel-drive system that combines a quick-acting center differential with an electronic limited-slip rear differential to combine the best of AWD traction and rear-wheel-drive dynamics, just like the 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X that introduced the technology.

The turbocharged V6 has variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams, and when you factor in 10.9 psi of boost, then you get a wide spread of torque between 2,000 rpm and 6,000 rpm. As a result Saab says this new, larger 9-5 will get to 60 mph in a decent 6.7 seconds.

Turbo lag is minimal, and it will shrink to almost nothing when a twin-turbo version of this V6 is introduced for the high-performance Saab 9-5 Viggen. (The Viggen — "Thunderbolt" — was a jet fighter built by Saab between 1970 and 1990.) "The Viggen name should play a significant role in the future," Muller confirms.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice article, but would have liked to have heard more of his opinion vs techno babble

Comment

Working...
                                X