The Saab Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saab Thread

Tomorrow (tuesday february 23rd) supposedly is the big day. GM and Spyker will finally sign the agreement which transfers the ownership of Saab Automobiles AB to Spykercars nv. It has been a really long and exhausting rollercoaster ride for all Saab employees and fans around the world, to which tomorrow finally will come an end. Spyker and Saab will together be renamed to Saab Spyker Automobiles which will mark a new era for Saab, as well as for Spyker.
    It is well documented that Saab has lost much of it's Saabishness during GM's reign, and all involved hope the brand will regain it's quirky and individualistic status it once had. There is much speculation as to how Saab is going to achieve this. Will the Sonnett return? Is a retro 92 a good idea or will it flop like the new beetle did? Also, where will the financing come from? These are just a few of the many questions people are dying to see answered.
    As I mentioned somewhere above, tomorrow will mark a new era for Spyker too. Ever since the brand came to be in 2000, it has been stuggling to be financially viable and sell enough cars. Now though, Saab know-how will flow into the design process of future Spykers. Not to mention the cooperation with Lotus Engineering. I guess Spyker will benefit from Saab's financial bulk, to some degree insuring Spyker's future. (eventhough Muller stated Spyker could be placed outside of the company or annexed if it doesn't turn profitable in the foreseeable future)

A lot of questions remain but what is for sure is that this is by far the most important event in the history of our beloved Spyker (yes, even topping participation in Formula 1).

This thread is dedicated to Saab, which as of now is a part of Spyker. As this is a Spyker forum, I thought Saab deserves it's own little space here for those who care about the brand and/or are interested in developments concerning both Saab and Spyker. Since after tomorrow the deal is final, the "Spyker-Saab?? thread" is redundent and deserves a new beginning, just like the brand itself.

The very first saab, the 'Ursaaben':

My baby (which has it's new MOT and is running fine again):

And the car we should now all buy:

First news: Victor Muller mentioned in the ESM (Extraordinary Shareholders Meeting) that he would like to add some 'heavyweights' to the Saab Spyker advisory board. In Two ‘heavyweights' who could help Saab-Spyker succeed Autonews.com talks about who Muller has set his eyes upon:

Spyker CEO Victor Muller said earlier this month that he is looking for two "heavyweights" from the car industry to join the supervisory board of the combined Saab-Spyker.
    Two names that should be on the top of Muller's wish list are Wendelin Wiedeking and Holger Haerter.

The dynamic, but recently discredited, duo might relish a second chance at turning a broken brand into a success.

Wiedeking, 57, became one of the most-acclaimed -- and highest-paid -- industry executives after he saved Porsche AG from bankruptcy in the early 1990s.

Like Saab today, Porsche was in financial trouble two decades ago because of a weak model lineup and a production system that needed an upgrade.

Wiedeking secured the struggling small company's survival with innovative methods along the entire manufacturing chain such as the "Porsche improvement process" and "process optimization through supplier involvement."

Next to Wiedeking, Haerter is most closely associated with Porsche's transformation from a financial basket case to one of the most profitable carmakers in the world. The 53-year-old economist from Bad Kreuznach, Germany, made the company billions through shrewd investments such as his successful hedging of Porsche's exposure to the weakening dollar in the middle of the 2000s.
    I say: Griffin up!

Thank you for your warm welcoming words.
    Yes the "Marriage" will certainly be a most important milestone for both companies.
    I joined your forum a couple of months ago when as a Saab owner I wanted to know more about Spyder and fast developed a love for your "quirky" cars
    But more important I soon learned to admire Mr. Victor Muller and appreciate his incredible staying power that made this marriage possible.

I am sure you do not want your Spyker Forum filled with photos of Saabs but I'l show you mine. The first was taken at La Place de La Concorde, Paris when all over the world Saab owners were pushing the message to GM that Saab had to be sold to be saved. This move started with the Dutch owners and snow-balled. Mr. Victor Muller mentioned that this helped make the deal possible. The second photo in the charming village of Saint-Sozy in the Lot, I am thinking of moving there.
    Attached Files

Comment

Autocar UK talks to Victor Muller. Today, 23 Feb.

Victor Muller, the 51-year-old Dutch-born company doctor and founder of the Spyker sports car company, is about to conclude a deal with General Motors to acquire the troubled car maker, Saab. Here he tells Steve Cropley how he aims to bring back the golden days of the Swedish company that built its first car in 1947.

What made you want to rescue Saab?
      It's what I do for a living, though I'm a genuine car lover as well. Until I founded Spyker I was a pretty successful acquisitions lawyer and a financier. Some of the money I made, I managed to lose again on Spyker, though we now have an new direction for that company. But with Saab, I'm doing what I'm best at.

How will you know you've succeeded?
      When Saab is profitable, and making the cars people want to buy. I estimate we'll need a volume of around 100,000 cars, nearly all made in Trollhattan to pay for the infrastructure. The proceeds of every car we make over that will go straight to the bottom line.

What will the model range consist of?

We've got a new 9-5 ready to go, the 9-4X SUV is coming towards the end of the year. The 9-3 is our staple model, and still has life in it. And at the moment I'm driving a design for a new small car.

Are you playing a role in the design process?
      Sure, I'm doing things with it every day. It's going to be the coolest thing since the Mini. I carry renderings of the latest designs with me, and I talk to the Saab guys all the time. I want it to be influenced by the first Saab, in fact my codename for it is 92, like the first one. It uses the original teardrop shape; the aircraft with no wings. That's where Saab cars came from.

When will it hit the market? Will your partner be GM?
      Too early to say. I've been working full-time on the deal and that's not done yet. We will need a partner, but it would be extraordinary to go announcing partnerships before you own the company. But I can tell you this is going to be a hyper-modern, super-cool car, every bit as iconic as the Fiat 500 or Mini or Beetle. Everyone's going to want one, and it's long overdue.

How have the Swedes taken the news?
      People talk about cold, unemotional Swedes: I didn't see any of that. They were overjoyed; you can see it on YouTube. We made our announcement on 26 January, and ever since the dealers have been referring to it as Independence Day.

How will you bring the customers back?
      That's the simplest job we have. I believe they'll flock back in hordes. There are 1.5 million Saabs on the road, and 4.5 million people with recent Saab experience. I don't actually need any new customers to do this; I just need my old customers back!

Who will own the company?
      Saab will be a publicly listed company. I'll control around 30 per cent, and there are other major shareholders that account for about another 30. The rest will be held by lots of other small shareholders who believe in what we're doing.

Who will manage the Saab?
      The future management is the one you already know. Jan Ake Jonsson is CEO of Saab Automobile NV. He'll be back on the board within a week. He has lots of experience, and heads a great team.

Can Saab and Spyker live together?
      Let's get this straight: Spyker is not acquiring Saab. This is an acquisition by shareholders. Saab's management won't be Spyker's management. However, it's true that one big beneficiary of this deal will be Spyker, which will have a powerful new ally with crash facilities, a wind tunnel, 1100 dealers - stuff it could never have dreamt of. But above all, Saab will continue to be Saab, and we will be good shepherds.
      Q+A Saab's Victor Muller - Autocar.co.uk

Comment

According to Saabforum.nl :: Index Victor Muller said the deal may also be closed tomorrow instead of today, as there are quite a few things to be sorted out still. There will be a modest press conference upon closing the deal.

[Edit: Scratch the above, for it has finally happened!

Uncork the champagne bottles, here is the press release!:

-Spyker Cars finalizes deal over the purchase of Saab Automobile
        -Transfer of ownership has taken place
        -Saab exits liquidation and the management are back in control
        -Transaction signals the start of an exciting new era for Saab
        -Saab and Spyker to operate under parent company Spyker Cars N.V.

Trollhättan. Spyker Cars N.V. today confirmed it has finalized the deal with General Motors Company to purchase Saab Automobile AB. The transfer of ownership took place at TIME on February 23. Prior to the close of the deal Saab exited liquidation and control was reinstated to Jan Åke Jonsson, Saab Automobile's CEO, and his management team. Going forward Saab Automobile and Spyker Cars will operate as sister companies under the umbrella of the Amsterdam Euronext listed parent company Spyker Cars N.V. (Ticker symbol:SPYKR). This transaction secures the future of Saab Automobile and signals the start of an exciting new era for the iconic brand.

Victor Muller, CEO of Spyker Cars NV said: "We are delighted - Saab's future is now secure." He continued: "From today we will be concentrating all of our efforts into reviving Saab and transforming it into a sustainable and profitable company with the confidence to be bold. We will reinforce the emotional experience between Saab drivers and their cars and we will focus on Saab's historical strengths in the fields of independent thinking, aircraft heritage, ecological performance and motorsport.

"Through this acquisition we add approximately 15 euros per share in equity and 60 euros of assets. With a well funded business plan in place we are looking forward to working with Saab's management on the realization of that plan and bringing exciting new products to our customers. Real Saabs, Saab Saabs"

Jan Åke Jonsson, CEO of Saab Automobile AB said: "Today's announcement is great for Saab's customers, dealers, suppliers and employees around the globe, the level of passion and support shown to Saab over recent months has been remarkable and this does bode well for the future. Now we aim to get back to the execution of our business plan, starting with the introduction of the new 9-5 later this year, and with the continued support of our employees and business partners I am confident we will succeed."

"This transaction represents the successful outcome of months of hard work and intense negotiations, all aimed at securing a sustainable future for this unique brand, and we are pleased with the positive outcome," said John Smith, GM vice president for corporate planning and alliances. "This is a great day for Saab employees, dealers and suppliers, and a great day for millions of Saab customers and fans worldwide."
        (source: www.Saabsunited.com)

OH YEAH BABY!!]
        Last edited by Reddingius; 23-02-2010, 17:12.

Comment

Excellent news! Now I challenge all of you to find a picture of the closure with our bottle of champagne on it

Comment

Cheers to all, a great day! ...
            Attached Files

Comment

This isn't the same bottle but certainly beautifully served
              Attached Files

Comment

@Spykerowner:

Is this it?

(picture courtesy of Steven Wade)

[Edit: Darn it, one minute too late]

Comment

I think you were a little distracted ... many more photos and SWades comments are here:
                  Completing the Saab deal - in pictures - Saabs United

Comment

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
                    @Spykerowner:

Is this it?

(picture courtesy of Steven Wade)

[Edit: Darn it, one minute too late]
                    Don't think you can poor drinks with one hand when you use our bottle

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMorgan View Post
                      .. but I'l show you mine.
                      Very nice! My father in law also drives a 9-3

Comment

Press conference

Spyker: "Nu har vi tagit över Saab" - Nyhetskanalen.se - Sveriges nyhetskanal på nätet - nyhetskanalen.se

Comment

Video of VM's signing and comments on "Saab Saabs"

This video shows a happy and determined Victor Muller:

YouTube - Spyker Cars finalizes the purchase of Saab Automobile

I understand that today Mr Muller, with one of his sons, is picking up his new 9-5 at Trollhattan and driving himself back home.

Thank you Spyker.

Comment

Is anyone else concerned that Victor and team will focus 110% for the next 2-3 years on Saab and to the exclusion of Spyker? All I hear about is how Spyker will save Saab, not much on how the Saab transaction will benefit the Spyker brand. Yes, I've heard discussion here on the benefits of the transaction around R&D, wind tunnels, etc, but whenever I hear Victor speak, the focus appears to be about regaining Saab customers, rebuilding the Saab brand, etc.

Comment

no I'm not really concerned about that. Ofcourse, Saab got a disproportional bunch of attention during all this, but that's not surprising as Saab is much better known than Spyker, and everyone wants Saab to be saved whereas not that many people care about what happens to Spyker. I'm sure Victor will focus more on what's going on at Saab from now on, but that doesn't mean Spyker will be neglected. He's talked about what's in it for Spyker multiple times and it all sounded pretty promising. Maybe there will be a 9-4X based D6 SUV in the future, who knows!

Comment

Working...
                              X