Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whistling Sound when the accelerator is pushed but not loaded...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistling Sound when the accelerator is pushed but not loaded...

There have been some posts previously regarding some whistling noises while driving the C8. Some are faint and barely noticeable while others (like mine) are more prominent. There has been on theory on this in the past and it relates to the change of the airbox from lower numbered cars to now. I have been told that there is no fix for this particular problem. Most people seem to be ok with this as the noise is not constant and when it does exist is barely noticeable.

Now, on to my challenge... There are two things involved and the prevailing theory is that the two items are linked into one problem--the gearbox.

First, when the car is driving at a constant speed with the accelerator depressed--say at 60 MPH-- and you are trying to maintain that speed, you will hear a noise that seems to originate in the rear of the car. It is a higher pitch sound that will disappear when you put a load on the engine. The second issue is that it makes a short squeal when you shift gears. This sounds a lot like a rapper scratching a record for about a tenth of a second. It is very distinct and it almost certainly metal on metal.

While the car drives fine, the two noises are certainly annoying. Spyker is working hard to resolve these issues and I am extremely happy at this time. They have been very responsive and I have to reitterate my satisfaction. I think is always important to remind Spyker owners that our cars are more art than they are cars. I expect to have some issues with something this new. The no-questions-asked type of attitude I get from Spyker is something you cannot underestimate in the exotic car world. They take ownership of a problem and do everything they can to make it right. You gotta love it.

Dan

Update: We have identified this problem to the gearbox. We think it is from a pinion gear that is not matching up correctly. The solution selected is to replace the entire transmission (gearbox). This is generally not what they will do but since they had a spare gearbox here in the US from the Bullrun they are going to do it. The gearbox is under warranty for Spyker anyways so the only thing they are losing on this deal is labor. Johan Pit and I have become good friends in the past week

The car should be done tonight so I'll post the results tomorrow when I get the car back.
    Dan

Comment

Also, i have learned that revving the engine without a load (neutral or clutch engaged) is particularly hard on the car. I have never had a problem before but I have to admit that I do put on the occasional orchestra when one is requested/required. So, from now on I will only play the tune while the car is in gear.

Comment

I took the car for a drive and it now runs flawlessly. It has updated ECU software as well as a new tranny. This change DID resolve the noise issue. The car is running VERY strong at this point. Some final touches are going on tomorrow and the Coke Can will be back on the road.

Comment

Is Johan still there? If he is tell him JP says hello!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
            Also, i have learned that revving the engine without a load (neutral or clutch engaged) is particularly hard on the car. I have never had a problem before but I have to admit that I do put on the occasional orchestra when one is requested/required. So, from now on I will only play the tune while the car is in gear.
            Please elaborate.
            Rijk

Comment

I took the car for a drive and it now runs flawlessly. It has updated ECU software as well as a new tranny. This change DID resolve the noise issue. The car is running VERY strong at this point. Some final touches are going on tomorrow and the Coke Can will be back on the road.
              You sound happy again
              Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by jpclinging View Post
                Is Johan still there? If he is tell him JP says hello!!!
                He is still here and says "hi" back.

Comment

he also wanted to know if your swimming skills have improved in the past two months.

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                    You sound happy again
                    Oh God yes. I think you will want the new ECU software bro.

Comment

he also wanted to know if your swimming skills have improved in the past two months.
                      My skills have improved in direct relation to his ability to deal with a hang over!!

Comment

Working...
                      X