VIN numbering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN numbering

I wonder how the VIN number is constructed. I believe even the model type is in it somewhere, so could it be possible to have a #007 C8 Spyder AND a #007 C8 Double 12?? or are all Spykers, regardless of model, numbered the same?

Rijk, your "107", are these the last 3 digits in the VIN?

I thought every car being produced gets a successive number. For instance Rijk's car is the 107th car Spyker have produced, regardless the model.
    ______

Mel

Comment

Hey Mel,

I'm doing a comparison right now, while researching the international VIN standards. It does look like the Spykers are being numbered, regardless the model.

Will post more stuff later

Comment

Originally posted by bucciali View Post
        I wonder how the VIN number is constructed. I believe even the model type is in it somewhere, so could it be possible to have a #007 C8 Spyder AND a #007 C8 Double 12?? or are all Spykers, regardless of model, numbered the same?

Rijk, your "107", are these the last 3 digits in the VIN?
        Yes, the number 107 are the last digits of the VIN Number, and the numbers are consecutive. The last number we saw in the factory is #211, and that is the total number of Spykers ever produced, including the pre-production cars.
        Rijk

Comment

not all the preceeding numbers are the same though...

For example, my first one ended with 038 but the first digits may have been:

My second was 088 and they may have been:

Comment

Of the seventeen digits, the last 6 are the sequential production numbers. The first eleven are fixed per car.

Vehicle Identification Number - VIN Numbers: Free online search for car or truck VIN numbers. Find information on auto decoders and DMV record links.
            Rijk

Comment

a complete breakdown on the Spyker VIN...

Thanks Rijk. I had already been using that page, but could not find all explanations there. Here's what I've been working on every quiet moment of the last few days (which weren't many! ). You are both right and wrong. Most of the first 11 digits are set, except 2. The last 6 digits do form the unique vehicle number, but in some cases even less digits are used for numbering every car that rolls of the production line.

Here we go:

A VIN number is a string of 17 digits that contains information about the manufacturer and the particular car. I have grabbed a number of VIN's from my archive and listed them below. You can see that I have divided them all in 'sub groups' and I will explain them all.

XL9 AA11G 6 6Z 363 109 (C8 Spyder - White/Brown - Manhattan Motorcars)

XL9 AA11G 5 6Z 363 151 (C8 Spyder - Titanium/Red - Symbolic Motorcars)

XL9 GB11H 9 6Z 363 086 (C8 Spyder - Black/Black - Manhattan Motorcars)

XL9 GB11H 2 6Z 363 091 (C8 Spyder - Yellow/Black - Exotic Motorcars Florida)

XL9 AA11G 6 6Z 363 112 (c8 Spyder - Gun Metal/Cognac - Newport European Motorcars, California)

XL9 AA11G 4 6Z 363 139 (C8 Spyder - Jet Black/Black - Motorsports of Georgia

XL9 AA1?G 6 6Z 363 112 (C8 Spyder - Gun Metal Gray / 'Tropicana' (brown) - Newport European)

Below is a complete breakdown by sub group and digit. The digit number is as follows, reading top-down:

000 00000 0 11 111 111
              123 45678 9 01 234 567

WMI - World Manufacturer Identifier - 3 positions

01 and 02 - XL = Both the 1st and 2nd identifier refer to the Netherlands. All combinations between XL-XR are appointed to the Netherlands).
              03 - 9 = Always 9 for manufacturers who build less than 500 vehicles per year.

VDS - Vehicle Descriptor Section - 5 positions

Digits 4 through 8 identify things like body style, engine type, series or model. Each manufacturer can pick their own scheme for these five characters. Seeing that I only have found VINs for Spyder models, it is hard to tell what characteristics are hiding behind the digits. With a VIN of a Laviolette or a Double 12, we could start distinguishing the differences.

04 - A - unknown
              05 - A - unknown
              06 - 1 - unknown
              07 - 1 - unknown
              08 - G - unknown

09 - 6 - The 9th character

This is a 'residue 11' check digit that can be used to check that the VIN number hasn't been mis-typed or something. It is based on a calculation where each digit is attributed a value after which things are being multiplied, added, subtracted and divided the complete formula can be found on the link Rijk posted. It's always either a digit ('0' through '9') or an 'X' (which means 'ten' in this context). This number is therefore unique for each VIN number.

VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section - 8 positions

The VIS is again divided into two parts:
              10 - 6 - Year of manufacture (letters are used for years upto 2000; ie. 1998=W, 1999=X and 2000=Y; from 2001 and up the last digit is used; 1 for 2001, 6 for 2006).
              11 - Z - identifies the assembly plant of the vehicle; 'Z' for Zeewolde!?

the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line. (6 positions) In some cases the first 3 digits of these 6 (digits 12, 13 and 14) constitute a second WMI, sometimes they are part of the chassis number sequence. In this case, with Spyker being a small manufacturer (see digit 03; less than 500units per year), only the last 3 digits are used for the actual "chassis number" number. All example VINs listed above carry the '363' and I assume that every single Spyker does so. What it stands for I have no idea. Perhaps this can be chosen at random by supplier.

12 - 3 - Second portion of WMI
              13 - 6 - Second portion of WMI
              14 - 3 - Second portion of WMI

15 - 1 - Chassis number sequence
              16 - 0 - Chassis number sequence
              17 - 9 - Chassis number sequence

Comment

Wow - you've done your research

Comment

I was not sure until just now where the VIN plate was located. I think I found it: in the driver side's door opening, behind the hydraulic strut.

But I am not sure. I don't see this one on all models. Mostly pics of cars on display at some Motor Show, but that still does not make sense. Every car produced should have one. I'm guessing all models registered in the US have a sticker like this and that another VIN plate (actual metal plate, with VIN de-bossed into it).
                  Last edited by bucciali; 25-10-2009, 22:37.

Comment

You should always find a VIN number under the windshield at the driver side, clearly visible from the outside.

It has to be easy for the Police to give you a parking ticket
                    Rijk

Comment

BTW, that is one ugly color combination in that interior
                      Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                        You should always find a VIN number under the windshield at the driver side, clearly visible from the outside.
                        Is that a sticker then?

It has to be easy for the Police to give you a parking ticket
                        Typical!
                        Gotten any tickets yet then??

Comment

No, it is a metal plate with the number stamped in permanently.
                          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                            No, it is a metal plate with the number stamped in permanently.

Meant to put this one here, to show what it is like.

This must be a US requirement? Haven't seen it or heard about it with any other country?

Comment

A question about VINs:

Does anyone have a full 17-digit VIN number of a C8 Laviolette or of a C8 Double 12 S?

Also (I'm new to Spyker): are these two types also sold in the US?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X