My first car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first car!

I already spilled the beans yesterday, but I think this news requires its own thread!

You probably know what I'm on about; the fact that yesterday I purchased my very first car. It's a 1975 Saab 99 2.0 and it's a beauty. As most of you have probably dated some beauties in your lives, you will know that they can be a handfull. Mine is in the process of proving exactly that. When I went over to the guy who (for some reason) decided to sell his car, I went out on a testdrive. As soon as I slid the gearstick into second, the engine stalled. Disappointing, concerning, but for the most part emberrasing as the seller, a friend of mine and his dad were all there with me in the car. I tried again, but it kept stalling on me. At a certain point (200 yards down the street to be precise) the car wouldn't start anymore. We quickly found out that the problems were caused by a torn diaphragm in the carburettor. This was a quick and cheap fix and as I proceded with the testdrive, I found I got to like the car really quickly. It's not a racecar though. It should do 160 km/h (100mph) with blood sweat and tears, and you'll be terrified getting it up to that speed because it only has a 4-box and the engine already screams at (legal) highway speeds.
    If it will actually get up to 100 mph is something I doubt though, the car just doesn't feel like all the 101 ponies that should be there are there. On the way home I also heard some loud thumps from the engine, maybe the timing is off or the mixture is too rich.
    These little things aside, it is still an absolute thrill to drive. Having driven a Seat Leon and my parent's BMW E39 528i, the Saab is something else altogether. And I love it. From now on I'll be driving it everywhere!

Well... If it will drive that is. When I got home from buying it, I wanted to start her up for a drive around the block with my family, but she wouldn't. We got out some electronic gismos and found out that the battery was absolutely shot. With the engine off, you could just see the headlights fade out. So here I am, I have got the best looking car of the neighbourhood, but it won't go anywhere soon.
    Now we're on the topic of what is wrong with it: The front brake rotors need replacing (slowing down upto a trafficlight is quite scary), the engine temperature gauge died yesterday (I guess the sensor just got disconnected while we were fiddling with the engine), the headlamp whipers don't work, the muffler rattles. Well I'll get it all fixed in one go when it will get its MOT. So there is quite a lot to be done and it probably won't be cheap, but the car itself was an absolute steal so I hope I've made the right decision!

If you've taken the time to read this all, you're probably anxious to see some pictures and I won't disappoint! I hope you like her. These are pictures from the advertisement by the way.

If there are any questions I hope I can answer them for you!
    I'll keep you informed via this tread if anything interesting happens.

I really like these Saab's. Good to see this one found a good home.

Comment

The car looks clean and well cared-for. I hope you are back on the road soon!
      With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Wow fantastic!! Looks great! Genius, those headlight wipers.
        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Appears very well cared for. Hope she is 100% very soon. And my favorite color!

Comment

these pictures are definitely not fresh but beautiful car! hope that she will be up running as soon as possible

Comment

Nice! A real beauty! Nice in black
              Louis

Comment

Agree, a real classic!

Comment

Originally posted by luigisk View Post
                  Nice! A real beauty! Nice in black
                  Somebody is soon going to learn the pleasure of owning a black car
                  Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                    Somebody is soon going to learn the pleasure of owning a black car
                    Keep it clean, Boris!

(And good luck with that . . . :lol
                    With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Congrats Boris!
                      Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Congrats thats a cool car!
                        Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
                        Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

Thanks guys for all your nice words

Tiny update:
                          A friend of mine bought a similarly vintage Opel Kadett last year, and when he did, his battery died and showed the exact same symptoms as mine. He was able to solve the problem by brutally reviving his battery. This was done by just hooking it up to a battery charger and letting it charge for a very looooooooooooong time. This worked for him because his battery has been working for over a year now without fault. So tomorrow he's going to come over with his charger and we'll see if it works the same way for my battery. If not, I'll get myself a new one. Either way, I'll keep you updated

Here's a picture of it in my street. (not as shiny as the pictures in the first post :P)

Comment

Allright, so I got it a new battery and it ran pretty well for a while. Then in the second half of january the engine became more reluctant right up till the point where it died completely. I brought it to a garage to get a new MOT, which I expected to not be cheap, but the phonecall I got this morning was a bit of a shock none the less. To make my baby road worthy again will set me back at least 1000 euros...

I'm just a poor student, but hopefully I'll be ably to scrape the amount together!

Comment

Working...
                            X