other toys, no cars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other toys, no cars!

... sorry about this, but I have to show my latest toys. Since the economy isn't very good, there is a whole bunch of good antiquities for sale, some nice smaller pieces even on eBay. Prices have dropped in the last year, pretty much like the ones for second hand Spykers .

I bought myself a few small items, like a Harappan doll (Indus culture, 4,000 years old), like a brick from ancient Babylon with cuneiform writing "Nebuchadnezzar" (Mesopotamia, 2,500 years old) and a bronze age pottery (Cyprus, approx.4,500 years old). It is a completely different thing, of course, and I was actually hesitating to bring it up here...

Let me know, if you happen to have toys other than cars, too.
    Attached Files

Wow, very interesting! 4,500 years old that's insane! Still looks very good and intact!
    Nothing wrong with posting this, it's very interesting.
    Louis

Comment

Very nice, Amzamz! What an interesting group we have here.

I like to take pictures, on land and while scuba diving, so I guess you could say I collect interesting views. Here is one I took in Papua New Guinea:

With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

No need to be sorry, these are gorgeous collector items. Impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post

I like to take pictures, on land and while scuba diving, so I guess you could say I collect interesting views. Here is one I took in Papua New Guinea:
          Wow, you are diving and photographing! That's a great shot! I guess you can name every fish and coral there!

Comment

That is a fantastic shot! Went snorkeling for the first time in my life this spring, absolutely loved it. Didn't see anything like this though...

As for the antiques, those are amazing!

Old stuff is always fascinating. Someday I'd like to own a really, seriously old car, like one whose model year starts with 18... Love the idea of having a Duryea or something like that. Check out this picture of a Benz Motorwagen at a musem, it's actually carrying a license plate!
            Attached Files

Comment

...In the meantime, until my income supports such endeavors, I collect 1/18 die cast model cars. Here are some pictures of my collection.

These are just cheap shelves, but at least I have them on shelves! For years they were all still in the boxes in piles! Please excuse my fiance's treadmill (we are a bit tight on space), and the dust. One way I know I need a bigger house is that I am almost out of shelf space!

The collection numbers 170 right now. I have 5 duplicates, 4 of which are in my office at work. I have them arranged alphabetically by make, and then by year within a model range. Thus one can see the evolution of the Corvette, for example. I don't have anything particularly rare or valuable, but I do have some unusual models, among them a Panoz AIV Roadster, a Tucker, a Vector, a Messerschmitt, and yes even a Trabant! I also have two motorcycles (1:18 of course), a Triumph Bonneville and a Harley-Davidson V-Rod (Harley's first liquid-cooled engine, engineered by Porsche). I collect not only cool new cars but also cars of historical note. I'm also trying to collect one model from as many different real-world manufacturers as possible. But there are no Spyker die-casts yet!

I've been collecting for probably 20 years total. I usually order through Exoticar in the States. They offer free shipping for orders over 500 dollars. My collecting slowed down a bit when I bought my house, although my fiance kindly has given me some great models in the last several years, among them my Bugatti Veyron.

Anyway here are the pictures of my collection, as well as the latest addition to the collection, my 1930 Bugatti Type 41 Royale. Enjoy!
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that is quite a collection! Do you have any Spykers? I was wondering if anyone makes a 1:18, but my quick research didn't reveal it.

As for my underwater photos, yes, I can name an awful lot of undersea creatures and I have literally thousands of similar photos. I have tried hard to get around the globe and dive the sweet spots for the last 10 years or so. Along the way, I became a scuba instructor and have gotten my son and six neices and nephews certified, as well. It has been a lot of fun. (Cheaper than cars, too -- by a lot.)

Here's a turtle in Roatan, Honduras. I think I pissed him off . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
                  ...In the meantime, until my income supports such endeavors, I collect 1/18 die cast model cars. Here are some pictures of my collection.
                  Wow, that is quite a sight! Great collection... I only have a few models 1:43, some Spykers there, some pre-war cars and some of mine/my fathers toys...

I haven't found any 1:18 Spykers either... someone has to start it, I guess, and it probably won't be a big business.

Comment

good idea, thanks

... the model car collection brought me onto the idea of taking pictures with a 1:43 scale Spyker C8. You can see it next to the cuneiform writing "Babylon" and with the bronze age bowl. A contrast of aesthetics / high tech across thousands of years!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by amzamz; 30-12-2009, 17:36.

Comment

Kind of makes one ponder what items from our culture will still be around 4500 years from now!

Comment

Nice collections, amzamz and Matt! One wouldn´t say it's a scale model in pic #4 from your latest pics amzamz! The only thing I could come up my family has of a bigger age is my brothers volvo amazon.
                        Last edited by IVR007; 04-01-2010, 23:58.
                        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                          ... the model car collection brought me onto the idea of taking pictures with a 1:43 scale Spyker C8. You can see it next to the cuneiform writing "Babylon" and with the bronze age bowl. A contrast of aesthetics / high tech across thousands of years!
                          Hey, I think that is actually cuneiform chiseled into that Spyker . . . it says, wait, I'll figure this out . . . it says "Holy Shit, Fast As Hell" in Sumerian! :lol:

Comment

right!

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
                            Hey, I think that is actually cuneiform chiseled into that Spyker . . . it says, wait, I'll figure this out . . . it says "Holy Shit, Fast As Hell" in Sumerian! :lol:
                            I am sure Victor Muller will license this idea! The W24 roadster (model year 2017) will have a Sumerian script around the seats, or all along its side!

Instead of saying "this is Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon" it will say "I am XXX a proud Spyker owner and king of YYY", hahaha!

Happy New Year!!!

Comment

I wonder how one translates into Sumerian Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via?

Comment

Working...
                              X