How to "quiet" C8 exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "quiet" C8 exhaust

The C8 is near the top of my list for a 2 seater convertible high performance sports car. My biggest concern, after much reading, is the loudness of the exhaust. I am considering an 06 (maybe an 07). Haven't heard one in person. A salesman for Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Spykers and Panoz's said it is the loudest car he has ever heard.

I live in an upscale neighborhood, carved out of a dense forrest. My neighbors will revolt if I get a really loud car. I am aware of some aftermarket, expensive (8 - 10K) exhaust systems that allow the driver to toggle between normal and substantially quieter.

Is there any approach one can take to quiet the exhaust roar of this car. I am mostly concerned with coming and going from my neighborhood, wouldn't mind turning the volume up after I'm a few blocks away from home.

Any advice?

Almost all (all that I know) Spykers come with what is called the Whisper Mode. You just switch the Sport button off, and the car is as quiet as can be.

I almost never switch the sound off, because it's such a great sound. Only when I'm leaving very early in the morning, and I don't want to wake up anybody, or when I'm stopped by the police
    Rijk

Comment

Once you hear one in person, you'll realize your fear is unfounded. I travel in and out of an upscale peaceful neighborhood without upsetting the neighbors. I turn the sport button off (whisper), but the minute I'm on main streets, I turn it back on. It's a great sound at full bellow, but not as loud as you fear. Many rodded rice rockets are much more obtrusive. And, an F430 is louder.

Comment

I don't know what year you have. The whisper mode switch on the 06 has virtually no effect.

Comment

Both Brett and I have 2006 cars. The whisper mode makes a huge difference. If you have experienced different, you might just have heard one where the sport button was not working.
          Rijk

Comment

Well, that's reassuring. I have retired lawyers and congressmen in my neighborhood and heading to work at 8:00a or to the gym Sunday morning at 7:30a would cause problems with a loud car.

But I have a Maserati Gransport now and my neighbors don't mind that car, they actually like it. Its loud in sport mode and much quieter with sport mode off. The mode is always off on Sunday mornings.

Thanks folks.

Comment

Gary,

Tell us the (general) area where you live. Possibly there is a Spyker owner in you area that would not mind to show you the difference.
              Rijk

Comment

I live in the Washington DC area. I don't think there is a Spyker dealer around here. That is a little bit of a concern. Although there is an independent mechanic nearby who does a good volume of work on exotics and should be able to handle it.

Comment

Gary,

Brett, the owner of Spyker #115 is living within striking distance from you. Maybe you can hook up with him if you want to check out the noise v. sound issue
                  Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                    .. Brett, the owner of Spyker #115 is living within striking distance from you..
                    Brett = Basokolow

Comment

I'm in Philly. Happy to hook up, Gary, if you'd like to drive mine. It is an '06, and whisper mode works fine. I would not be concerned with a local dealer, unless yours is still under warranty. Then, getting back and forth to the dealer to work out the kinks is valuable. Otherwise, any local Audi or Porsche dealer can do most of the maintenance.

Comment

I will be on business travel for a couple weeks. We could try to hook up after I get back. You might like driving mine as well - an '06 Maserati Gransport. Won't handle as nice as yours, but I think it has a magnificent sound and its fabulous to seat 4 comfortably in something so high performance.

I recently drove Highway 17 a bit, really beautiful drive, lots of twisties. It comes south out of Waynesboro as 997, then becomes 64, then 17/153, but I was further south, below 70. But for me to go to York may not be a bad drive for me, if this is not too inconvenient for you. I will shoot you a pm sometime after I come back.

Thanks,
                        Gary
                        Last edited by GaryS; 31-07-2009, 15:35.

Comment

Working...
                        X