First drive in the Spyker D8 mule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First drive in the Spyker D8 mule

Today I had a chance to drive the Spyker D8 mule. You know, the D8, disguised as a Landrover like car, which has the D8 engine, suspension, brakes and weight distribution. But not the interior, nor exhaust and sound of the final D8.

Michael Schouten took me out in rather rainy conditions, but that did not make a difference. The roadholding capabilities of the D8 are phenomenal. I have a Cayenne Turbo with the active suspension option, so I know what the current SUV benchmark feels like. Roughly the same torque, but around 1200LB (500+KG) lighter makes such a difference, and with less electronic wizardry, just feels so much better planted.

We are of course not mentioning any speeds here, but all of a sudden a helicopter showed up straight ahead of us......

Michael let me drive back to the factory, but not knowing the car, and in inclement weather, I drove rather calmly, just when a police car showed up "out of nowhere" on the lonely polder road we were on. I was at that point driving the speed limit, so they let us drive on

I was very impressed with the D8 capabilities. Spyker was testing different braking systems on the mule, and I loved the system they just put on and tested. Very responsive and with great pedal feel. Much better than the Porsche system, but this is also a result of the D8 being much lighter. It did not feel very fast, but that feeling changed rapidly when I glanced at the instrument panel

The most notable thing missing was the famous Spyker exhaust sound.

I want to thank Victor and Michael for giving me the chance to experience something unique, and I can't wait to see the further development of what is going to be a fantastic car. Spyker is not kidding when they call it a SSUV.

Sadly, there are no pictures.
    Rijk

I am jealous

Comment

PS Where did you drive the car? In the Netherlands? Or in the UK at Lotus?

Comment

That must have been a fantastic experience Rijk! NICE

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
          I am jealous
          + 1

Comment

Not taken today, but nevertheless still a very mule
            Attached Files

Comment

PS Which engine was under the hood

Comment

Wow, Rijk, sounds like a great experience!

Thanks for sharing with us. I love that SO is so close to the fire.

Comment

Some small pictures to the story. Not sure though when these were taken.
                  Found them on SuperCarFrance.com's forum
                  Last edited by bucciali; 25-10-2009, 22:31.

Comment

Do you have the pictures in a higher resolution?

PS The RDW information:

SPYKER D8 PEKING TO PARIS
                    Cilinders: 8
                    Volume: 6162 cc
                    Power: 415 Kw / 564,4 hp
                    Weight (empty): 2.160 kg
                    Weight (on te road): 2.260 kg
                    First registered: 24-04-2009

Notice the Spyker logo on the back

Comment

Do you have the pictures in a higher resolution?

PS The RDW information:

SPYKER D8 PEKING TO PARIS
                      Cilinders: 8
                      Volume: 6162 cc
                      Power: 415 Kw / 564,4 hp
                      Weight (empty): 2.160 kg
                      Weight (on te road): 2.260 kg
                      First registered: 24-04-2009

Notice the Spyker logo on the back
                      One seriously fast Landy!!

Comment

PS Where did you drive the car? In the Netherlands? Or in the UK at Lotus?
                        The D8 is right now in Zeewolde.
                        Rijk

Comment

Nice ride Rijk, thanx for sharing!
                          Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

More pictures!!!

Source: http://www.autodakar.nl/2/project-detail.php?id=25

Can somebody read the VIN

Comment

The Spyker D8 Mule has about 7000 KM of heavy testing on it.

It is a process of developing and finding the right parts. The Mule is constantly changing parts. One at the time, so that you can see the individual influence of that particular set up or combination.

The track and wheelbase are set to to the final specifications, and the engine is placed completely behind the front axle. So, it is a real (front)mid engine layout. The supercharged engine (name withheld on request) sits very, very low in the chassis. Looking under the hood it is like you are looking in the engine bay of a Ferrari 430. I did a double take, when I realized how low the actual engine block is placed. Te low point of gravity improves the handling characteristics.

Michael explained that they have found the final shape and angle of the upper and lower wishbones. Spyker experimented with the longitudinal angles under which they set the shock absorbers. This is to reduce the the dive and squat without having to electronically interfere. Sideways roll is slowed down, so the car feels like it is cornering extremely flat, without becoming a go-kart, that at the slightest bump in the asphalt launches you sideways.

I know that Spyker is not finished developing the D8, but from what I experienced, with Michael at the wheel, and later, at a considerably lower pace, with me at the wheel is of a unbelievable balanced car. The D8 will obliterate the Cayenne Turbo
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X