Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honoring a historic drive (1907 Spyker from coast to coast in US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honoring a historic drive (1907 Spyker from coast to coast in US)

It is seven o'clock when I met Stijnus Schotte on the east side of Manhattan. In a silent street his 1907 Spyker is idling, ready for a journey from the east coast to the west coast. He is following the track Alice Ramsey made in 1909. The first woman who crossed the United States by car. Exactly one hundred years later Stijnus will relive the journey in his vintage Spyker

Schotte's car really stands out in the crowd. Painted in a red white blue patern with shiny coper details. He attended Peking to Paris twice with this Spyker. Schotte says: "In the old days they knew how to build cars. This one always starts. Even in the desert."

New York City has its own challenges. Especially traffic jams and people in a rush. The Dutch car stands out in the morning traffic, where yellow cabs are fighting for the best spot on the tarmac. I am a passenger on the frontseat heading to the start of the journey on Broadway. In the backseat cousin Jan Bier has his own role: he is playing for turning signal as the 1907 Spyker has none.

In the meantime Schotte nods friendly to the surprised cab drivers. It is almost a royal nod to the civilians because the seating position is very high. With a speed of 25 miles per hour he is crossing the streets. A man in a suit shouts: "Wow! Is that thing for real?"

Schottte replies with the hunk which sounds as a duck in distress. When we arrive at the starting point of the journey, it starts to rain cats and dogs. Schotte slides the hood over the leather seats and says "One hundred years ago 'we' had exactly the same weather."
    Schotte drukt als antwoord op de claxon, die klinkt als een eend in nood.

And to the question "What if it keeps raining?", he answers: "We'll wait until it is dry. It is about the experience, not about getting there in time."

By Floor Bremer De Pers, translated by me
    Attached Files

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
    It is seven o'clock when I met Stijnus Schotte on the east side of Manhattan. In a silent street his 1907 Spyker is idling, ready for a journey from the east coast to the west coast. ...........

By Floor Bremer De Pers, translated by me
    When was this Hans?

Comment

Now

(it was in today's newspaper)

Comment

Or maybe a couple of weeks ago as Alice Ramsey started her journey on June 9th, 1909

See: Alice’s Drive

Comment

According to the blog the Maxwell arrived in Utah yesterday. So the trip is not completed yet.

Comment

An action shot of the Maxwell and the Spyker together
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice story!

Comment

That is cool.

Comment

And a couple of shots at the Starting point on Broadway
                  Attached Files

Comment

We did "Route 66" (Chicago-Santa Monica) a couple of year s ago with two motorbikes and a convertible.

I can imagine how cool this would be.

But how come Stijnus is driving his Spyker on this trip. I missed that....

Comment

I can't believe I did not know about this
                      Rijk

Comment

Working...
                      X