Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Wanted...

Hi guys,

I'm not a Spyker owner, just an automobile enthusiast. I have some holes in what I know about Spykers, as accurate information seems to be hard to come by. I was hoping one (or several) of you could answer some questions I have about your unique cars.

1. I always thought that Spyker imports began for the 2006 model year, however I see that Spyker got U.S. EPA/DOT approval in mid-2005. Your "unofficial registry" clearly indicates that there are cars with 2005 VIN's in the U.S. What model years were Spykers "officially" imported to the U.S.?

2. Early models have steering wheel designs that appear not to contain airbags. 2009 models appear to have air-bag equipped steering wheels. Did Spyker get an airbag exemption for its first few years?

3. Exactly which Audi engine has powered Spykers for each model year? Audi has made several different versions of the 4.2 V8 (4172cc and 4163cc, plus different engine family numbers). What changes are made to the engine, or are they used as is?

4. What are the differences between a C8 and a C8 Double 12S?

5. What happened with the 2007 model year? I hardly ever see any 2007's on the internet.

Thank you in advance!
    Matt

1) I have no idea
    2) Yes they did get an exemption
    3) I don't know exactly, but my guess is that they used the belt driven 4.2 V8 (non-FSI) that is used in the Audi A8. In 2008 they changed to a chain driven V8. Do you have a list with the different versions? And some extra information? Maybe we can find it out!
    4) The C8 Double 12S has a longer wheelbase (+10 or +12 cm) and the body is slightly different, wider wheelarches. And there are visible rivets in the body (not always though).
    5) Production was very low. I guess Spyker skipped the 'official' MY2007 and they went from MY2006 to MY2008.

I hope this is enough information.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post

5. What happened with the 2007 model year? I hardly ever see any 2007's on the internet.
      In round numbers production of the '06 model was 100, '07 was 25 and '08 was 50.
      Rijk

Comment

1. I always thought that Spyker imports began for the 2006 model year, however I see that Spyker got U.S. EPA/DOT approval in mid-2005. Your "unofficial registry" clearly indicates that there are cars with 2005 VIN's in the U.S. What model years were Spykers "officially" imported to the U.S.?
        '05, '06, '07, '08 and now '09
        Rijk

Comment

2. Early models have steering wheel designs that appear not to contain airbags. 2009 models appear to have air-bag equipped steering wheels. Did Spyker get an airbag exemption for its first few years?
          There were three steering wheel designs in total. The original propeller design, the Lotus model, which had no airbag, and the new 08-09 Gallardo steering wheel, which has and airbag.
          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
            3) I don't know exactly, but my guess is that they used the belt driven 4.2 V8 (non-FSI) that is used in the Audi A8. In 2008 they changed to a chain driven V8. Do you have a list with the different versions? And some extra information? Maybe we can find it out!
            According to the information I've found, 2004-2005 Audi A8's use a 4172cc BFM engine; 2006 use a 4172cc BGK engine. Both of these have belt driven cams; I don't know what the differences are between them. 2007 and up Audi A8's use a 4163cc BVJ engine, which I believe is the chain driven FSI engine you mentioned (I assume FSI means direct injection). It figures that Spyker would have access to the new engine a model year later.

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
              4) The C8 Double 12S has a longer wheelbase (+10 or +12 cm) and the body is slightly different, wider wheelarches. And there are visible rivets in the body (not always though).
              Is the engine in the Double 12S modified to make more power?

Thanks to those who have responded so far!

Comment

No the Double 12S doesn't have more power. But some of them have a MTM supercharger which gives them 500+hp. And as far as I know the Double12 S models have no certification in the US.

Comment

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum!

In early brochures different stadia of tuning are mentioned for the Double 12S, up to stage 5. I believe the output mentioned for that stage was 620 HP. As far as I know that never became reality. The engine fitted to the Double 12S is the same as the one fitted to the other C8 models. However... Some Double 12's have a super charged engine, giving it approximately 525 HP, +125 HP compared to the standard engine. Spyker is testing a new super charger on a C8 Spyder at the moment though, so in the near future it probably will be possible to order a C8 SWB model with a super charger as well.

The Audi engine was, in the beginning, slightly modified. if I remember correctly it had a different ECU and a modified exhaust system, giving it aproximately an extra 40 HP. Nowadays, only the exhaustsystem is different, the engine itself is stock Audi. At least that's what I remember.
                  Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Thanks Stephan!

I did some further research into the different variants of Audi's 4.2 V8. For model years 2004-2006 the Audi A8's engine was 4172cc. From April 2003 to May 2005 the engine was a BFM. From June 2005 to May 2006 the engine was a BGK. Both were rated at 334HP by Audi. Both use cam belts. There does not seem to be any significant difference between them, unless someone knows otherwise?

For model years 2007-current the A8's engine is a 4163cc BVJ, rated by Audi at 349HP. This engine's cams are chain driven. If AX lover is correct, then 2008 and newer Spykers use the 4163 BVJ engine, and 2007 and older Spykers use either the BFM or BGK engine.

Does anyone know anything further on the specific fitment of the BFM/BGK engines in 2007 and earlier Spykers?

I appreciate the information so far; I hope others have learned as much as I have!

Matt

Comment

I looked at all my Spyker brochures and the enginecapacity in all of those is listed as being 4172cc. So I think all engines used for the C8 Spyder, Laviolette and Double 12S are 4172cc, even on the Spyker website (Models | Spykercars), these three models are listed to have 4172cc...

...But the Aileron on the Spyker website is listed to have the 4163cc engine.
                      Both engines are 400 HP and 480Nm, only the 4163cc engine has max revs of 7000RPM, that's 500 less compared with the 4172cc engine.

Maybe there was a deal between Spyker and Audi for a certain amount of 4172cc engines? Could that be the reason Spyker still uses the older engine?
                      Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Yes, I see that too. You may be right, Spyker may have even bought a certain amount of the engines, and stockpiled them to use as needed. Although AX lover seemed pretty certain they switched to a chain driven cam engine for 2008; this would imply the 4163cc engine for 2008.

This is becoming harder to determine for certain than I expected!

Comment

Trading Update Q1 2007 (27-04-2007)
                          http://www.spykercars.nl/download/ar...te_Q1_2007.pdf
                          Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic, AX lover, you were right!

Since you are so knowledgeable...

Any chance you know which belt-driven engine (BFM/BGK) was used for which years on the earlier Spykers? [see earlier entries on this topic]

Comment

I have no idea. But can try to find out

Do you have more information about the BFM and BGK types?

Comment

Working...
                              X