Spyker Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyker Automatic

What is everyone's thoughts on an automatic type transmission on the Spykers?
    Vinny

- former SPYKER Employee, but a fan for life....

What I understand is that the sportscar market in the U.S.A., the biggest market for Spyker, consists of 80% clients that want an automatic gearbox against 20% clients that prefer a car with a manual gearbox.
    So it's very important, in order to raise sales in the U.S.A., to have a model with an automatic gearbox!

Personally I prefer a manual gearbox though.
    Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

What kind of automatic? F1 or Tiptronic?
      Rijk

Comment

I guess Spyker will be using the ZF 6HP26 6-speed automatic transmission in the C8 Aileron.

This is a 'true' automatic transmission and not some kind of manual gearbox without a clutch. But you will be able to shift it manually (maybe even with paddles behind the steeringwheel?).

More about the transmission: ZF 6HP26 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

I don't know what kind of transmission they will be using in the D8 Peking-to-Paris. But since they are going for an American engine I fear the worst. A 4-speed? Or are you Americans already using 5-speed transmissions

Comment

China is a big market for Spyker and a lot of the people who can afford a Spyker have no clue how to handle a proper gearbox. And the US is also a typical market for automatic transmissions.

Offering an optional automatic 6 speed gearbox is therefore good for Spyker. They should not go for a sequential gearbox though if you ask me. Most super cars have an F1 gearbox (optional or standard) and there is a gap in the market for super cars with a normal automatic gearbox. If I am correct only Aston Martin offers an automatic gearbox (DB9). Maserati offers an automatic gearbox in the Gran Turismo, but that is not a sports car, 'just' a real GT.

Comment

any additional transmissions is a good thing. while I will never purchase one I think it increases the total audience significantly. Many people (mostly women) cannot drive a manual. This particular tranny is decent. Not great but not awful. The cars that it has (historically) been installed in are not exotics and therefore I don't know how well it would hold up to the tremendous hp/torque numbers this car can pump out. Clearly, the way it operates will need to be adjusted to ensure smooth shifts at high RPM's. Bottom line, I'm glad it is being done.

The F1 transmissions out there are REALLY expensive to license and therefore I would shy away from them if I were Spyker. The amount of total sales that would be gained because of that would not justify the cost to R&D the tranny in this car. There is also a substantial amount of electrical involved with that transmission. I am not a fan of the Maserati tranny at all--except that new automatic that is found in the quatraporte. The old one is garbage (i had one) and that is the reason Maserati came out with that new auto. Again, if a shelf automatic is available, I'm a fan. Just make sure it can withstand the beating that it will get!

Dan

Comment

Some weeks ago I was at Spyker in Zeewolde. I also did see the Aileron and we spoke about it. They told me it will have a kind of F1 (with paddles behind the steeringwheel) but not like Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Dutchdude
                Spykerowner #141
                sigpic

Comment

It can still be a regular auto with F1 paddles. Good example is the DB9.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind... paddle shifting does not equal F1. There are two different types of paddle shifting methods. The first is the one that is found in Porsches. It is actually a version of "tiptronic". It does NOT use a clutch (as in the traditional sense) it just tells the computer to shift up or down one gear. This type of paddle shifting is SLOW and does not hold a candle to the other type of paddle shifting---which is F1 style. Ferrari (F1), Lamborghini (e-gear), BMW (SMG), and now Nissan (not sure what they call it but it is actually a whole other topic) all have true F-1 style shifting. The shifts take .15-.25 seconds and they use a real clutch. The shifts are much more abrupt but they give the driver a real experience. I have driven all of these and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. The only one of the group I didn't care for is the e-gear. Personal preference I guess. I'm also tainted by the fact that I despise Audighini. The Nissan is far and away the best--and the new BMW M3 now uses similar technology. As a side note, the new Ferrari California will also be using this same technology.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
                      One thing to keep in mind... paddle shifting does not equal F1.
                      I know. I used to have 'Selespeed' on one of my previous Alfas. The system was developed by Magneti Marelli (they also developed it for Ferrari). And it was a proper sequential gearbox with a regular clutch that was operated by a computer. I really loved it.

Comment

I love it. if you get the chance, go take a GT-R for a spin. It would crush pretty much any car I have driven on the track--stock to stock. that thing is sick.

Comment

Hmm Dan, I think there are three kinds of flappy paddle gearboxes.

- Normal automatic transmission with the possibility to shift up and down
                          - Sequential gearbox (F1 style), a 'manual' transmission with a computer operated clutch (SMG, e-gear etc etc)
                          - Twin-clutch gearbox, as used in the GT-R, California, new M3, facelifted 911 and a lot of VW/Audi models (at least in Europe)

And I think that the sequential gearbox had it's best time. More and more cars are using twin-clutch gearboxes. BMW ditched it's SMG in favour of DCT. Porsche is now using PDK instead of Tiptronic and Ferrari is using a twin-clutch gearboxes for the California instead of the F1 gearbox.

Comment

The automatic setting on the F1 box in the Ferrari F430 is a dramatic improvement over the F1 system in the F360. However, you still need to think, and especially in reverse, you can easily burn the clutch.

I think that, especially at the high end cars, the choice for F1 is not made because the driver wants an automatic box, but rather a choice for the latest technology.

So, that leaves the Porsche Turbo with a tiptronic. I personally hate the Porsche tiptroninc, but it would be interesting to know what percentage of the Porsche Turbo is ordered with the automatic box.
                            Last edited by F Spider; 29-07-2008, 12:54.
                            Rijk

Comment

I was posting this to get some opinions for my own knowledge...

In the past I was against the thought of an automatic-type transmission, after speaking to Victor about it, I understood the reasoning behind it. For those of us that enjoy the car with a manual, we have to allow Spyker to make an automatic type vehicle.

While in Zeewolde, I got to drive the test mule. I am a changed man.

This transmission, even in it earliest stages, does not take away from the thrill of the car one bit. The "mule" had test versions of the "Sport" mode which did more than just open the exhaust baffles, it transformed the car into a different ride. You had to shift, the car would not do it for you, the throttle response seemed better, the power was better, and it even was matching revs when i downshifted (not perfect, but they say they are working on refining it).

All in all... This will be a big hit for Spyker, and will allow them to sell enough cars to make sure those of us that want a manual, will get one!
                              Vinny

- former SPYKER Employee, but a fan for life....

Comment

Working...
                              X