Took the plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the plunge

Well, I did it. C8 Spyder #115 is being delivered to Malvern, Pennsylvania this week. My wife and I flew out to Newport Beach, CA, to test drive the car on the 26th. It is a new 2006 that was still at Newport European Motorcars. Royal blue over tan, blue top. Sounds like they have one more, a silver one. It is simply addictive, and that is just after a short test drive. They loaded it on the truck yesterday, and I should have it between the 8th and 12th. Will post pictures then.

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
    ..It is simply addictive, and that is just after a short test drive. ..
    It is, isn't it?

Comment

Congratulations, that's fantastic !
      Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Another sleepless week:lol::lol::lol:
        Rijk

Comment

yay! You are going to love it. Just don't side-step it right off the bat. What are you used to driving? I'd like to hear a comparison.

Comment

I see these three cars in his profile:
            06 Spyker C8 Spyder, 06 911 C4S Cab, 08 Cayenne Turbo

Comment

I'm accustomed to fragile Porsche clutches, so I doubt I'll manhandle the Spyker straightaway. How resilient is the clutch? I tried to heel and toe it during the test drive, and was pleased. For reasons of my foot size or the angle of the 911s pedals, I never managed this well, but found it much more comfortable in the C8.

Comment

The primary difference is that the pedals are mounted low versus high. Heal toe is really easy in this car. The clutch is SOLID and more of a racing style clutch... However, I will tell you that each of the three cars I have owned have been different... 038 was stiff as hell and bordline's a true racing clutch. 088 was a little better but not good for someone who is not used to driving a clutch. Stalls were expected from most people that were not used to driving sticks. 152 is the easiest to drive of them all. The good: For most daily driving it is the best one. The bad: If I ever want to be aggressive it is a little sloshy and I risk burning the clutch. So, if you have 115, I would say you are going to be 50/50. The C4S will seem like a Honda Civic compared to this clutch if you ask me. Fortunately, you drove the car before you bought it so you know what you are in for!! To take a corner hard (tracking) in a Porsche with a turbo you need to keep the revs real high so heal/toe can be hard on a clutch if you f it up. The Spyker will jerk you hard and likely spin you if you enter the turn too hot and don't rev match it correctly. That is one of the bad things about an in-out style clutch I guess. However, you can sidestep the crap out of it and it will catch! Have fun,

Dan

Comment

Clutch

Hi Dan,

Having driven my car only briefly on a test drive, I was surprised that the clutch action was as light as my 911. The main difference in feel is that the Porsche clutch is progressive, whereas my Spyker felt like an on/off switch. It was, despite that, user friendly. I expected to stall it the first time, but it was forgiving, easily modulated and had a pleasing feel. Again, not what I expected.

I have never heel/toed through a corner, usually downshifting on corner entry, so I will be wary of the snap spin. My track experience is limited. But, I am seriously thinking of a driving school, if I can find one that will teach me primarly in my car. Thanks.

Brett

Comment

Well, you certainly have one of the newer clutches then. On/off is a racing style clutch--generally known as in-out. You are either in gear or out of gear. The porsche should be considerably softer even with the clutch you have in the C8. Heal-toe in a turn is generally not recommended but can be done with great effectiveness, much like trail braking. There should be some good schools out there but I DO NOT suggest learning in the Spyker. As much as I dispise corvettes, they are one of the best cars to learn in. Besides, you need something to compare against the Spyker. Please keep in mind that Spyker handles poorly on a track so do not expect to win ANY races. I could beat the Spyker in a lapped race with something like an S2000. With some simple suspension modifications (which I DO NOT recommend) and tire changes you could really make it trackworthy but IMO it is not good to track this car in its stock settings. The rear end is just too loose.

All of that being said, it is VERY fun on a track because you can bust it loose so easily. If i was into drifting, I might have given that a try.

Comment

Brett,

Your car should be here

Or are you to driving so much, you have no time to post pictures
                      Rijk

Comment

Working...
                      X