Breaking news: Spyker teams up with Lotus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking news: Spyker teams up with Lotus

Not sure how correct this is, but thought I'd post it anyway..

Future models from Dutch supercar maker Spyker will be based on Lotus platforms, use Lotus parts and could even be designed by the Norfolk firm as part of an agreement signed between the two car makers today.

Spyker’s forthcoming Aileron supercar will use parts manufactured by Lotus, but the agreement goes further than just parts sharing. The Parts and Platform Commonality Agreement allows platform sharing, paving the way for future Spykers to be based on the new Lotus Esprit, using Hethel’s expertise in lightweight aluminium chassis technology.

The co-operation also includes a Design and Engineering Agreement relating to all of Spyker’s future models. That means that Lotus will be heavily involved in the development and design of Spyker's cars.

The two companies have been working together on various projects for the last four years, and Lotus Engineering has played a big part in developing the Aileron and the D8 4x4. (Autocar)

Spyker's press release:
    Attached Files

Comment

Just read this now. Very delighted to hear this news!!!

Comment

This has been some time in the making, but now it's official. I think it it is a great development.
        Rijk

Comment

not sure i like this to be honest with you.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
            not sure i like this to be honest with you.
            Why do you think this isn't such good news? I always thought that Lotus Engineering helped a lot of (large) manufacturers with the development of their cars (suspension etc).

Or are you afraid that the next generation Spyker's will be a re-bodied Esprit?

Comment

Well, the bigger fish always swallows the smaller fish. Lotus is a good company but was about to file BK until the Elise came along... Elise sales are starting to decline (along with every other manufacturer) and they have already committed to some very serious development plans. Sound familiar? NEITHER Spyker/Lotus have their own engines and thus will be hostage to "what is available". Toyota motors are nice but not for a Spyker... Until I get more details on this I will mark it up to a publicity stunt. There is a very small chance that Spyker's will ever look anything like an Esprit. However, the price point on Spyker's may decline once again if we have a shared platform. Good for new buyers, bad for existing owners. Hopefully most owners are like me and don't really care about the resale on this car... I'll hold my tongue until there is more information to digest.

Comment

Dan,

The exposure that Spyker gets, by being connected to Lotus, might not that bad. Already its all over the car websites.

Spyker will never be an Elise type car, but could share the platform with the upcoming Esprit. Combine that with an American V8 of 600+ HP, and use a Lotus developed suspension and traction control (something that Spyker could not do so easily by itself).

The savings for Spyker are crucial, since 75% of their production is sold in "Dollar Countries". Only this way, Spyker will not get priced out of the market.

In the mean time, hold on to your C8. They will sure become a collectible.
                Rijk

Comment

I hope you are right. until i see more details I will hold my tongue.

Comment

value of a C8

... as a collectors car, the C8 would have good chances to become an icon. Its design is absolutely delightful! However, this is only true if the production would stop soon, and the Aileron, an "Elise clone" or another model would take its place! Producing 200 would be a good number ... If Spyker keeps producing the identical "first series" car and keeps lowering prices, this is going to undermine the value... already now it is the cheapest for a European buyer to get one in the US and bring it back here! I also see the collaboration with Lotus as a "psychological downturn" (Ford Cortinas used to be upgraded to Lotus!!!!), as the Ferrari engine in F1 was a "psychological increase" of the prestige of a Spyker. As for technology and business, it is probably a good move and necessary. In that sense, I agree with Dan.

Comment

Amz,

The new Aileron will not be an Elise clone. I believe that the platform used will be of the upcoming Esprit, and placed squarely above the Esprit in capabilities, finishes and price.

When Victor is back I hope he will elaborate to the question in the Owner section.
                      Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                        Amz,

The new Aileron will not be an Elise clone. I believe that the platform used will be of the upcoming Esprit, and placed squarely above the Esprit in capabilities, finishes and price.

When Victor is back I hope he will elaborate to the question in the Owner section.
                        .. sounds interesting!

Comment

I read the news last week on a Dutch website. I think that is great for them, and the news about something in China. Is also great. Hopely is this the point for Spyker that it go the good side.

Comment

I heard this the other day and its good news as far as i am concerned, Lotus has been a ground breaking development company for over 50 years and so as are the new generation of Spyker's

And i just happen to be making models of both Lol...

Comment

Spyker has definetely benefited from the coöperation with Lotus, the steering and suspension on the aileron was very well received by the automotive press. Lotus is doing the same things for the D8 right?
                              The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Working...
                              X