Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for C8 owners

Hi,

I am searching for my next car to seek after (which translates to, "I'm looking for my next car to BUY ), and I have a strong interest in C8 spyders, but I really have little to no information about them...So here are a few questions for some of you owners.

1. How does the C8 drive/steer/feel compared to other high-end cars in its range (such as Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis)? Does the steering really connect you to the road? I had a Porsche and that car had amazing steering feel.

2. Does the relative lack of mass make the car more entertaining to drive? Love light-weight cars

3. Is this a sports car? I don't mean does it perform well, does it appear sleek, etc., but rather does the car get your adrenaline pumping when you drive it or does it feel like a luxury car?

What I want is a real sports car; something that thrills me every time I drive it. Not something that feels artificial, uncommunicative and mushy.

Feel free to share any related thoughts, opinions, criticisms, suggestions, etc. Be subjective.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I think you are not too far located from me. Why don't you come over one of these weekends, and you can have some first hand experience.
    Rijk

Comment

You might also want to read this thread:

http://www.spykerowner.com/forum/spy...-spider-6.html
      Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
        Michael,

I think you are not too far located from me. Why don't you come over one of these weekends, and you can have some first hand experience.

I'd love to come over... Thanks for the invite, Rijk!! Let me know when you're available.

I'm checking out that thread now.

Comment

if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Comment

I guess what I envision for the Spyker experience is a sophisticated Lotus Elise...minus the anemic engine. Something like that anyways

I will PM you. Thanks

Comment

I drive a Laviolette and an Elise; you're pretty close! The Spyker is a lot more solid feeling too.

Comment

I actually have to disagree entirely. The elise handles like a 360. The C8 will spin if you try to do the same tactics on a track. If you push a C8 in a turn and the line isn't solid you will spin the car without hesitation--unless you know what you are doing. If you take that Elise in that same corner, you need to let a monkey drive it to spin it. The Elise can take a 90 degree turn at 50MPH without going off the pavement. These cars should not be compared against one another. Other than the VVTI in the Toyota motor, that 1.8 isn't too bad. I actually loved tracking my Elise. To me, the elise compares well with the 360. The C8 compares well to a Viper with a little better traction. That is, stock on stock. Slicks on the C8 would obviously change the dynamics considerably... What I'm saying is, don't buy this car if you think it is a higher HP Elise. You will be seriously disappointed. I love my Spyker but I don't wish to misrepresent it. Keep in mind that the published 0-60 (most recent anyways) is 4.5 in the spyker. That is fast but not THAT fast for the money. This is a great looking car that just happens to have good numbers. Notice I didn't say great numbers. Buy it because you love how it looks and sounds... not how well it races. If you want something fast get a 360/430/Gallardo-- but that is what everyone does I guess. Just my opinion guys.

Comment

Let me start to say that Dan has vastly more experience with Spykers, as well as much more experience on the track.

But, on the street, especially when it's dry at 7 or 8/10, I find the Spyker much more fun. The enormous torque makes it also much easier to drive. You don't have to wind up the engine every time (which results in a much better gas mileage the the Ferrari).

On less than ideal conditions, it is much easier to drive the Ferrari, it feels more confidence inspiring. My Elise did not have traction control (like the new ones do) and you had to be careful too in slippery conditions.

I guess it is very dependent of where and how one uses the car. I've always said of the Elise, that if you don't have a great set of back roads available to you, the hassle of the Lotus can quickly overshadow its brilliance. I think you need to consider this also when buying a Spyker. Mine stays away from highways and I have 1,500,000 acres of national park in my back yard. Not a track, but a great set of curvy mountain roads that at 55-65 MPH are plenty challenging and fun.

I like the feel of the lightness of the car and the non-power steering and the non-power brakes. It makes driving the Spyker a much more back to basic experience, compared to the Ferrari. My new F 430 is the summit of sophistication, especially with the CC brakes, the vastly improved F1 gearbox and its traction control.

I'm glad I do get to drive both, but if I could only have one of the two, it would not be an easy choice.
                  Rijk

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

By the way, if it was unclear, I have an Elise and I have found ways to enjoy it even though I'm lacking back roads (actually, I have some back roads, so it's not all bad)

I'm glad to hear driving experience feedback. I see how the C8 compares to an Elise what with its lack of power steering and simplistic cockpit, but I see how it's more predictable like the 360.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was the early C8s that suffered from an oversteering problem, right?

Engine power isn't my biggest concern. The relative light-weight is what appeals to me. That makes a car fun

I suppose I could find ways to remedy the over-steer problem, such as changing tire sizes, etc.

Again, thanks so much everyone!

Comment

F Spider is spot on. The C8 is more fun! IT is because you CAN break it loose. the Elise is a glorified go-kart. Both have their applications. The 430 is a piece of art and nearly perfect in every way. you have settings on the wheel that can make it drive like any other car out there. You want a high HP torque machine? Great, shut off TC and set the knob and you are set. You want a go kart? No problem, just crank the knob again. The 430 with ceramic brakes makes for a hell of a machine. Throw in the carbon fiber options and I just get the chills. I will stay on record though... the Elise was far and away the most fun I have ever had for the money. I crashed one and blew another up. Both required a lot of messing around!! Power steering wasn't needed at all in the elise due to its weight so I'm with you there.

088 had a little oversteer problem but keep in mind you can change the shock settings to try to compensate for it. 152 has not seen the track yet but I can tell you that there are vast differences in how it handles compared to 088.

Let you ask you, what are your intentions with the new car you are buying? Here are my top three reasons for purchasing a Spyker.
                      1) LOOKS. Very few people will deny that this is a work of art.
                      2) Sound. Not really a lot to add here... other than if you are like me you need to have a radio.
                      3) You already have another PERFORMANCE car and want something unique. It creates exclusivity and creates attention like no other car I have ever had.

Like a salesperson told me when I first looked at Spykers... This is not your average exotic. If you can only have one exotic car, don't buy the Spyker. It has exotic looks but not exotic performance. 99 people out of 100 don't push their cars to the limit. I am that one person that does. the 99 will say that it performs GREAT!! They, however, have likely never driven their cars hard. You can beat the ever living piss out of a 360/430 on a track and it will be ready to go again after a brief cool down. You could teach your 15 year old daughter how to drive a manual transmission on a 360 and she would do fine. You put her in a C8 and watch her struggle and swear that she will never ever ever drive a manual transmission car. Tell me what you want to do with this car and I'll tell you if it is possible. =)
                      Last edited by SpykerX3; 07-05-2008, 02:18.

Comment

Thanks a lot.

The Spyker to me isn't about landing the fastest lap times or beating out Corvettes from stop lights. To me, it's an undiscovered beauty. It's different. That makes it appealing.

Sure, Ferraris are works of art, but too common and mainstream for my tastes. Not that I would mind one, but given the choice...

Does the performance need to be there? YES, but more importantly, the thrill and adrenaline rush needs to be there, and fun cannot be quantified by lap times, 0-60 times, etc. Will the Spyker provide that? I have no idea. That was my mission in posting this thread.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
                          Thanks a lot.

Does the performance need to be there?
                          YES, but more importantly, the thrill and adrenaline rush needs to be there, and fun cannot be quantified by lap times, 0-60 times, etc.

Will the Spyker provide that?

Like Dan (Spyker x3) i am a harder driver and love to use the rev range. Which means a lot of noise in a Spyker!!!
                          We could hear the Spyker go through its revs after turning onto the provincial road 2 MILES FROM HOME!!!!

The Spyker in my opinion is a real drivers car pur sang. A hands on driving machine. We have #007 and as mentioned they have sophisticated over the years.
                          To answer your question: A Spyker will definately give you a big smile on your face.

In comparison a Ferrari is very common and very sophisticated. An average Ferrari Club meeting will attract 100 Ferrari´s. Only at the Spyker factory i have seen more than one Spyker in one place.

Jeffrey

Comment

Yes, I love driving and using the rev range. I LOVE the music (engine sound) I have a full exhaust (headers, cat, muffler) on my Elise and it will reach well over 100 dba, so I'm no stranger to that.

Thanks for your response

Comment

Hey, as long as you know what you are getting into, I will endorse the C8! I just see people buy them and then decide later that they made a mistake. This creates a lot of negative press about the Spyker that should not be there. Ferrari's and Lambo's are well publicized so you know what you are getting when you buy one. Spyker's, on the other hand, have a very limited number of publications writing about them and there is no true circuit racing they are involved in. This leads to a lack of education to the consumer. This site helps solve that problem but only if you happen to stumble across it in your search for information. Most people that buy them fail to do the research so they end up with a little buyer's remorse. I got exactly what I wanted as I was well prepared. The people that see one in a show room and see the price tag and assume that it is as fast as a 430 and handles like a dream. Hell, it looks amazing and, like you said, uncommon. They buy it, take it home, realize that it isn't going to win any races against their friend's Ferrari's and Lambo's and ultimately decide to sell it. Too bad...

I think you are now well educated to make a decision. I know plenty of places you can get one for a really fair price if you decide to go the used route. New is great since you get to be the first person to fart in the seats. =)

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X