today, my car turned into "another toy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today, my car turned into "another toy"

... my God, I am still shaking! This morning I drove to work, parked my BMW and 5 minutes later I got a phone call. "Your car is on fire!". It was burning 20 minutes, firefighters came and it's simply all gone! Is that normal? I am completely shocked. This is the first time I see such a thing... an expensive firework!
    Attached Files

Are you serious????

Comment

... yes of course, as you know, I am always serious ! Well, the car had 11 years and 250,000km on the clock... but it was doing just fine, and I used it as my everyday workhorse...

Comment

Glad you're o.k.!
        Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Originally posted by Laviolette GT2R View Post
          Glad you're o.k.!
          +1. Looks like the fire started at the front... Was it your engine?
          The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Too bad a straight six goes up in smoke

But the important thing is, you are okay!

Comment

... it looked like it started from under the dashboard / front legroom area... could have been a faulty gas pipe... the front half of the engine looked undisturbed, and in the trunk we saved a dozen maps, a cardboard box and a spare wheel.

The scary bit is: minutes before, I was on the autobahn, doing 200km/h... and half an hour before, the car was near a historic wooden building from 1790, which would have burnt like hell!

I will start using my bicycle again... or just walk...
              Last edited by amzamz; 01-09-2011, 01:52.

Comment

Amzamz, I hope your insurance will cover this unfortunate event and you are soon back on the road in a shiny new car. I'm glad you weren't driving it at the time!
                With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

holy moly
                  Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
                    .. I hope your insurance will cover this unfortunate event ..
                    Given the fact the Beemer is 11 years / 250k km old the resale value of this car was not so high (before the fire). So I wouldn't expect too much from the insurance company.

Comment

... got my next car today. Again a BMW 330Ci, 10 years old and 125k on the clock. As nice or nicer than the lost one...
                      Last edited by amzamz; 03-09-2011, 07:27.

Comment

... what is the reason for such a fire? Look where it is burning? The intensity is due to burning gas (petrol), but it is not in the engine, and very little is under the car, where I would expect a fuel leak... electric circuits should all be having a fuse (shorting nearly impossible), and I didn't smell anything at around 09:05 when I parked the car. ...pictures are in sequence, the first two at 09:13, then 09:16, 09:19, 09:20, 09:23. To me the whole thing looks very suspicious... arson?
                        Attached Files

Comment

...of course I parked the car open, as I am used to. It was a very nice day, no chances of rain, and the building on the left is my laboratory, the parking is behind a remote control barrier. The forest on the right is public ground... ( no monkeys in Europe!!!)

The car's battery is in the trunk which was left untouched by fire. I had 2 gadgets with probably Li ion batteries in the glove box: a navi system and an mp3 player.

(...as you can imagine, I am now staring at every parking lot, and wondering why all those cars don't go up in flames altogether??!! :lol

... and now the scary bit: I am normally parking my Spyker in exactly that location. Of course: open . Do you think I should park the Spyker at work ever again? I have chosen that spot, because it can be seen from ground floor, 1st and 2nd floors of my institute quite easily.
                          Last edited by amzamz; 03-09-2011, 09:59.

Comment

Are there any security cameras on the building that may have captured the incident? It does all seem very strange, a friends 911 did the same thing but the fire started under the bonnet while he was driving it!!

Comment

Can the fire brigade shed any light on where it started? They're normally pretty good at investigating these things.
                              It could have been a passer by casually disgarding a cigarette end.....or maliciously, I was once driving my old Austin Healey Sprite with the roof off when some complete morons drove alongside and deliberately threw a lit cigarette into my car!

Comment

Working...
                              X