Compare the C8 Spyder to the 360 Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare the C8 Spyder to the 360 Spider

When I got the Spyker I was worried that the C8 would be a lot like my 360 Spider. Both 2 seaters, middle engine, rear drive, V8 and both 400HP. But nothing could be further from the truth.

The Ferrari is all about sophistication, has superb brake and steering feel, and that sound....... The Spyker is all back to basics. It is a whopping 500LB lighter, has no electronic aids besides ABS, not even brake assist.

The braking is completely different, and only now, after having the car for a month, I'm fully used to it. The pedal travel is only one inch, then you hit a plateau, and the harder you press on that, the better the retardation. Because there is no pedal travel, the set up is ideal for heel-and-toe-ing.

The Spyker will only rev to a little over 7000, while the Ferrari goes al the way to 8500, but the Spyker has much more torque and at a lower rev level, and that gives a completely different feel.

Of course the sound is completely different also. There is nothing like the wail of the Ferrari. The Spyker sounds more like Nascar. Especially nice is the sport setting, that will bypass the mufflers at a flick of the switch. The car is sooooo loud. When passing a police car, you just set the switch to the whisper mode.

Since you don't have to rev to the stratosphere every time, the gas mileage also turned out completely different. My last tank went at 19MPG or 1:8. Twice as good as the 360.

So, these cars turned out to be completely different and that means I can keep both........
    Attached Files
    Rijk

Very interesting review - thanks

Comment

I made a spec comparison and will post it next week when I'm back in New York.
      Rijk

Comment

Your car collection is really impressive. I think you're privileged to have two of such calibre sport cars to compare . Good to hear you can keep them both
        ______

Mel

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
          I made a spec comparison and will post it next week when I'm back in New York.
          Look forward to reading it

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Your Spyker looks fantastic, great colour combo! Too bad of the US/airbag steeringwheel though

Comment

Getting this thread back into the front, because this is what it's all about.
              Rijk

Comment

The first time I had the chance to drive a Spyker (even if it was only for a few meters ) I struggled with the gear box, best thing to do is justs closing your eyes and thinking its a normal gearbox I think. Was it easy for you to get used to Rijk?
                Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
                Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

If you have ever driven a 2CV, then you should have no problem with the Spyker gearbox.
                  Rijk

Comment

While awaiting Rijk's spec comparison, I thought I'd just quote Jeremy Clarkson. I just watched the Top Gear's review of the C8 Spyder again and thought it was quite a funny remark:

Because it has the same power output as a Ferrari 360, but only weighs the same as a toaster, it will go from 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds.

Comment

If you have ever driven a 2CV, then you should have no problem with the Spyker gearbox.
                      I have never driven one, but I know what you mean
                      Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
                      Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

Very, very impressive garage, Rijk.
                        Thank you for the face to face. I was curious to hear that from you since I knew you had the Ferrari...
                        It's great you can keep both!
                        Hugo Sá aka Throttleman

Comment

Today my Apple laptop came back. As soon as everything is back up running I can get to the comparison. Sorry for the delay.
                          Rijk

Comment

Today my Apple laptop came back. As soon as everything is back up running I can get to the comparison. Sorry for the delay.
                            Great choice of computer

Comment

-------------------------- Ferrari------------ Spyker
                              -------------------------- 360 Spider------- C8 Spyder
                              -------------------------- 2001-------------- 2006
                              Max Power-------------- 395 HP------------ 400hp
                              at------------------------ 8500 rpm--------- 6800 rpm
                              Bhp/liter---------------- 110--------------- 96
                              Torque------------------ 275 lb-ft---------- 354 lb-ft---------- 29% more
                              at------------------------ 4750 rpm--------- 3500 rpm--------- 1250 rpm less
                              Curb weight------------- 3495 lb----------- 2985 lb
                              Test weight------------- 3660 lb----------- 3155 lb----------- 505 lb less
                              Lb/hp-------------------- 9.3---------------- 7.9
                              Weight distribution f/r- 42/58%----------- 43/57%
                              0-60 mph--------------- 4.5 sec----------- 4.4 sec
                              0-1/4 mi---------------- 12.9 sec---------- 12.7 sec
                              at------------------------ 110.7 mph-------- 112 mph
                              Top speed--------------- est 180 mph------ NA
                              Engine rpm @ 60 mph- 2800-------------- 2700
                              Skidpad----------------- 0.93 g------------ 0.92 g
                              Slalom------------------ 66.6 mph--------- 67.1 mpg
                              Turns lock to lock -------2.7---------------- 2.3
                              Turning radius---------- 35.4 ft------------ 39.3
                              60-0--------------------- 125 ft------------- 120 ft
                              80-0--------------------- 221 ft ------------- 204 ft
                              Our driving-------------- 10.8 mpg--------- 18 mpg----------- Can that be?-Yes!
                              Max first gear---------- 87 dBA------------ 92 dBA
                              Constant 70 mph------- 75 dBA------------ 83 dBA

Temperature------------ 82 F--------------- 95 F
                              Humidity---------------- 6%---------------- 33%
                              Elevation---------------- 150 ft -------------350 ft

Source: Road&Track
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X