Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercars on the Top Gear track - 14th May 2011

Hi guys,

The date has just been been announced for "Dad's Day Out" 2011. This event just gets bigger and better every year and with major event sponsorship coming from Shell 2011 looks to be the best yet.

The main attraction is over 100 supercars on the Top Gear track at Dunsfold Aerodrome in the UK. The cars give passenger rides for a set donation and all the money goes to charity. So the car owners get a day playing on the Top Gear track, members of the public get a ride in their dream car and a worthy charity, the Childrens Trust, get much needed funds.

The event has grown so much beyond this though and now incorporates a large static car display, planes on display, BMX, mountain bike and motorbike demo's, trade stands, Caterham thrill rides, simulators, live music, a driver training circuit and young driver training area and so much more.

Andreas was on track with his C8 Spyder last year and we also had a Laviolette on track. Hopefully I can talk a few more of you into coming along this time.
    Here's last years video
    YouTube - Dad's Day Out - Childrens Trust Ride in a Supercar event

and here's some more of the Spykers.
    YouTube - Spykers at Dunsfold, Dad's Day Out event

... looks like I will try to be there with #045. Any Spyker fans should make the trip to London. No commercials for Ryanair or Easyjet, please! The track is just a few miles in the South West. For a defined donation to charity, you can be a passenger in a Spyker... I am happy to take anyone around the track .

I would hope that even an Aileron will be invited this year. At least for the show at Wilton House there were 4 Spykers, including an Aileron last year. See here.

In case you would like to bring along an exotic, please contact Fiona or me first. We'll try to get your car in, if there is room.
    Last edited by amzamz; 11-02-2011, 20:04.

Comment

An Aileron has indeed been invited, Hans is conferring with Spyker to convince them that this is the best event to attend in Europe that weekend - it is!

besides with production now in Coventry it's the ideal opportunity to show the Spykers in action to a UK supercar audience

Comment

... this is a reminder! Next Saturday, May 14, 2011 you can be a passenger in a Spyker. Get yourself a flight into London, from the US or Europe it is actually quite cheap still. (... EasyJet or RyanAir...) Get a rental car (I am afraid I could only take 1 passenger from London to the event and back , any volunteers???) and go to Dunsfold. In an emergency, there will also be Ferraris, Lamborghinis or Ford GT40s etc... a lot of fun... it is the track where the TV show "Top Gear" is filmed.

Comment

There are about 4 Ferrari F40's going......but get there early, last year most of them broke down! There may even be a Veyron, not that anyone here cares about that, as long as there are Spykers

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
            ... this is a reminder! Next Saturday, May 14, 2011 you can be a passenger in a Spyker. Get yourself a flight into London, from the US or Europe it is actually quite cheap still. (... EasyJet or RyanAir...) Get a rental car (I am afraid I could only take 1 passenger from London to the event and back , any volunteers???) and go to Dunsfold. In an emergency, there will also be Ferraris, Lamborghinis or Ford GT40s etc... a lot of fun... it is the track where the TV show "Top Gear" is filmed.
            If I had the time Saturday I'd definitely taken you up on that
            The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Harsh, the organizer of the event says about the choice of "blue ribbon cars", which costs you 50 pounds (to charity) as a passenger for 2 laps:

"with the proviso that although these cars have promised themselves on the day, because some of them are rare we can only be sure they will come when they turn up on the day as they may be sold, or break down anytime between now and then.

The last couple of years we've had very few drop out but you never know

The standard cars are things like the 360, 430, gallardo, viper GT3 etc

The Blue ribbon cars are (with more confirming as we go)

Enzo
              Mosler
              F40 (4 so far)
              F50
              Carrera GT
              SLS
              McLaren MP4 12C (subject to delivery in time)
              Murcielago (and Roadster)
              X-Bow
              Atom
              Ultima
              Spyker

We are also working on the following but they are not confirmed as yet.

Zonda
              Caparo
              Ginetta F400
              SLR"

(source)

Comment

Not long now

The chap who may be bringing his Veyron has a very pregnant wife, which is why Bachi hasn't put him on the list....it all depends on the baby. I did suggest someone else who has one and actually has a business on the airfield but I'm not sure if Bachi was able to get in touch with him. I think one of the Zonda's has confirmed however some people don't like to bring their cars out in the rain, so I guess some could be weather dependent. If last years anything to go by then it'll be a good turnout either way.

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                  ... I am afraid I could only take 1 passenger from London to the event and back , any volunteers???
                  ... the free seat is taken sorry, too late... you'd have to be at Dunsfold and buy tickets! Good for charity .

Comment

... the day was a success. We had a bunch of very exciting cars there: Ferrari Enzo, 599 GTO, F40, Koenigsegg Agera, 2x Pagani Zonda, Mosler, ... and #045 (track) with #187 (display)

Photos and videos can be found soon, I am sure. Like these ones:
                    + YouTube Video
                    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
                    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                    (Spyker at 3:00)
                    Last edited by amzamz; 15-05-2011, 07:49.

Comment

Looks like a GREAT time! So sorry I couldn't be there
                      Nihil ausus, nihil acquisitus

Comment

What a truly spectacular collection of supercars! Looks like Amzamz made it again this year, too!
                        With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
                          What a truly spectacular collection of supercars! Looks like Amzamz made it again this year, too!
                          Indeed and he amassed a multi-national fly collection on the nose in his quest to get there in time

Still the best looking and sounding car there, although I am biased. closely followed by the very enthusiastically driven Zonda S which took me for a spin. Busy editing my video of the day now.

Comment

Ok here's my first video from the day

+ YouTube Video

Look away at 0:41 if you don't want to see a small child abusing #187

Comment

Great video report. Entertaining until the last frame

Comment

Working...
                              X