McLaren MP4 12C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLaren MP4 12C

This Thursday I'm invited to a private event showing the new McLaren. Will take some pictures.
    Rijk

It might be a prototype, and thus may not have one, but see if you can photograph the VIN. I am very curious to see if McLaren is using the same SA9/048 World Manufacturer Identifier portion of their VINs, as they did with the old F1.

And ask why they chose such a cumbersome name!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
      And ask why they chose such a cumbersome name!
      Ofcourse because the MP4/12 was such a great car
      McLaren MP4/12 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
        It might be a prototype..
        I had the impression the first production model had its world debut at Goodwood in July.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
          I had the impression the first production model had its world debut at Goodwood in July.
          My guess is preproduction, because real production will start in 2011.

Comment

Same car and chassis as shown in Pebble Beach. Looks like a pretty impressive car. Very light at 2800LB (dry). The 592HP will make it really go.

In general much closer to the spirit of Spyker than Ferrari. I love it.
            Rijk

Comment

Very good story about the McLaren chassis:

2012 McLaren MP4-12C: Suspension Walkaround
              Rijk

Comment

Yesterday evening was the unveiling, but today were the private visitors. I went back and got a chance to talk to Frank Stephenson, the Design Director from McLaren.

I showed him the Spyker key fob. He was amazed, and called the other McLaren people over to show it to them.

Next time I'm in London, I can visit him at the McLaren facility. Something we tried to arrange last month, when we were in London with our kids, but couldn't find anybody that could get us in.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by F Spider; 18-09-2010, 15:59.
                Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                  Very good story about the McLaren chassis:

2012 McLaren MP4-12C: Suspension Walkaround
                  Great article, gives you an insight on what's under the surface.
                  The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

I was surprised that on Fifth Gear as well as Top Gear, the McLaren did not fare so well.

Capable but clinical. I guess you can easily connect these words to McLaren, but I had not expected that. Now it sounds like a Japanese sportscar.

Has anyone here driven one yet? I was quite taken with the car when I saw it, now I don't know what to think....
                    Rijk

Comment

I quite like the understated looks of the mp4. More subtle than the Ferrari. And the performance is better than 458. Hey, even the price is better. And they've announced that they will make some last minute changes to their 'manettino' button, making the car more entertaining to drive.
                      The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

I love the looks of the MP4-12C as well and I am impressed by the used technology. But I have no idea if this McLaren puts a smile on your face from ear to ear. The tests by Fifth Gear and Top Gear weren't too promising but they might be wrong

Comment

I have had a deposit on one since mid May 2011 , they are promising a March 2012 delivery and have stated that the 1st year production run is sold out. I've seen the car in person but have not driven it. I'm concerned with some of the mixed reviews I'm seeing and in particular how variable the fit/finish and even performance has varied amongst the pre-production critics test vehicles. I'm also concerned with some of the announced production #'s they are calling for in 2012 and on ... I think after year 1 the market could be oversupplied and damage values (i.e. Lamborghini).

I'm really torn on what to do now ...

Comment

Do you think yours is one of the earlier U.S. deliveries? I haven't been able to find out when exactly first deliveries will begin, in the U.S. or otherwise.

Comment

No , they will start deliveries in December (maybe even a bit sooner). I'm guessing there are at least 70 (probably more) deliveries ahead of mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X