Tesla Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Roadster

Yesterday I went downtown to visit the Tesla dealer in Chicago. The sales girl there couldn't have been nicer in talking to me, in fact she let me sit in the demo unit they had outside. I've never been in an Elise, so I really had no idea how tight the cockpits were in these things!

They only had a few cars there, they were all sold (except for the demo and the two cars in the service area). She said they pretty much sell them as fast as they come in. Which I guess wouldn't be all that fast, given Tesla's output. But considering that it's Chicago and they've only been open since December, if they've sold any I guess that's pretty good.

Anybody have any experience with one of these yet?
    Attached Files

Yes.

The car is all torque, so it feels faster than its posted numbers. It weighs in heavier than the corresponding Lotus, but is not so heavy that you feel it in the turns. The car drives great.

The numbers for range are optimistic. Hard driving will produce a far lower range. This is the big limiting factor of the car, for me.
    With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

matching license plate
      Attached Files

Comment

Tesla @ Top Gear

+ YouTube Video
        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Andreas had a go in one at Dunsfold(the top Gear track)

0:55 , 5:45 and 8:26
          YouTube - Supercar Parade lap

You may spot one or 2 Spykers in there too

Comment

... yes, I was a passenger in a Tesla on the racetrack! Absolutely amazing acceleration and NO GEAR switches. We accelerated faster than a F40! Full torque at 0 revolutions! And then all the way to 14,000 RPM! Only wind noise and a little whining of the electro motor. I had the opportunity to experience 120 mph from almost standstill. It felt like a downhill bicycle race in the "Tour de France"!

However, after 2 laps the battery turns very hot, and the car had to sit in the paddocks for at least half an hour. They brought in two cars for that reason! It apparently would still run, but only slowly to avoid overheating. The engine is air cooled, but the battery needs the more efficient water cooling! And, the action radius on the track is probably down to 30 miles!!!!?

I would also appreciate a nicely designed car, I just don't like the looks at all, sorry...

Comment

I notice that at the end of the Top Gear video when the post the time it beat the Spyker C8 by 0.1 seconds . We could get them in the 2nd lap though once the batteries or brakes die apparently.

Comment

Working...
              X